Will England get through to the 1/4 finals?

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bibblies, I also share your optimism and think England could go to the 1/4 finals and beyond.

Biggest weak point is Calamity and freakish lapses of concentration at critical moments. James placement of the wall for Zidane's first goal was awful and if he had got red carded for the professional foul on Henry (like he should have) you still would have had a better chance with his replacement (OK, pure speculation.)

Don't you think Beckham's penalties are all too predictable? Give Captain Courageous a rest and one of the other lads a chance.

As for their main tournament rivals, don't look to deeply at lead-up form.

Brazil and Germany struggled in the build up to 2002 and Italy's notorious slow starters.

Good luck tonight.

England 2-1 (I hope!)

"James placement of the wall for Zidane's first goal was awful and if he had got red carded for the professional foul on Henry (like he should have) you still would have had a better chance with his replacement (OK, pure speculation.)"

Keepers usually don't get red carded inside their (penalty)box. Yellow+penalty is the appropriate punishment for what James did to Henry. Now if they do such thing outside their area then it's red+free kick. (as in Rus-Por match)

Thanks I recall the Italian keeper against Norway in the 1994 World Cup when he got sent off for a similar professional foul.

Thinking about it now he may have been shown his second yellow card. The manager then took off Baggio and Maldini could barely walk but Italy still won 1-0. What a game!

A yellow card for a delibrate foul when a player is sure to score seems way too lenient. Who wouldn't foul in that sitaution when you get to buy a second chance?

"A yellow card for a delibrate foul when a player is sure to score seems way too lenient. Who wouldn't foul in that sitaution when you get to buy a second chance? "

Well, if a player is sure to score..of course..better off with a penalty and hope for the best..but keepers usually don't deliberately foul a player. They try to keep the ball from entering their net in the best possible (and correct) way, no matter what.

That's when a ref steps up and decides whehter it was (or wasn't) according to the rules.

We know penalties aren't 100% goals but it sure is THE BEST goal-scoring opportunity for a player/team.

Yep - only really weak position for England is the goalkeeper. Only real bad point apart from that is simple lack of belief, caused by listening too closely to people like checkbin. Hence, they're being too cautious.

Either Rooney or Lampard should be taking the penalties imo. Rooney, Lampard and Cole are our best players at the moment - they're playing well and want the ball. Gerrard's starting to wake up but a few others (Beckham, Neville, Scholes) are going too much for the safe option and are resting on their previous reputations a little too much.

I say as a betting man, not a patriot: Why not England? France, Spain and Portugal - all pre-tournament favourites have played 2 games now and none have looked any more impressive. All have their weaknesses. It's there for the taking.

To make the quarter finals, England have to draw with or beat Croatia. That's your simple odds, checkbinkrap. You're the one getting too emotional, letting historic events dictate your beliefs.

What's the sense of making a bet based on who'd won a championship 4 years, 8 years, 12 years, 16 years ago? There's an entirely different group of players for each country! Before 1998, France had never won the World Cup. Before 1994, Brazil hadn't won it for 24 years. In 1992, Denmark had never won the European Championship. In 1988, had Holland? Do the team that won the last championship always win the next? Or even get to the final? What a load of nonsense. It's based on the players now.

"What's the sense of making a bet based on who'd won a championship 4 years, 8 years, 12 years, 16 years ago? There's an entirely different group of players for each country! Before 1998, France had never won the World Cup. Before 1994, Brazil hadn't won it for 24 years. In 1992, Denmark had never won the European Championship. In 1988, had Holland? Do the team that won the last championship always win the next? Or even get to the final? What a load of nonsense. It's based on the players now."

Yeah, I can see its aimed towards me and my previous comments :D

You just met Mentors team and are going barmy. Maybe I will have to eat my words, we will see!!! Of the teams who never have won it, Greece are better off today and a better bet.

Christ, this after 3 points after 2 games in the probably weakest group in the tournament.. :neener:

What if you do get to 1/4 finals or semis? It will be "we are the morally right champion" if you lose in semis, heard it before!

Cheers!

Archived