Will England get through to the 1/4 finals?

if they cant beat either or both the croats and the swiss then they dont really deserve to go through.

The whole point of the mini league segment is to draw out the exercise for as long as possible to maximise TV revenues so the whole structure is geared towards making sure the Nations with the highest ratio of viewers with high disposable incomes make it through to the quarter finals.

No doubt when they qualify it will be portrayed as some monumental triumph against the odds,blah blah blah when in reality it will be nothing of the sort and the whole hype machine will kick in about how this might just be our year.

Ah well might as well enjoy the ride,That roony lad at full pelt,marvellous like a young Shergar hmm yes wonderful gait,only young,full of confidence seems like only yesterday he was turning out in the local park, jumpers for goalposts,

Beckham like a tattooed st george intent on slaying the footballing dragon of ignominious defeat,truely a clossus amongst men,The definitive David against the Goliath of Shame.Sol cambell the iceberg,cool cold calculating,,beware the black ice,cold deadly.Michael Owen old beyond his years like footballing king solomon hmm yes its like 1966 all over again

STH

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
spirit_of_town_hall said:

The whole point of the mini league segment is to draw out the exercise for as long as possible to maximise TV revenues so the whole structure is geared towards making sure the Nations with the highest ratio of viewers with high disposable incomes make it through to the quarter finals.

Come again ???

So McShite and other sponsors actually decides who goes throught, and football has nothing to do with that ????

Etrange.....

BB

:dunno:

You can hardly expect half the teams who qualify for World Cup/European Championship to play just one game. Hence the group stages.

I would expect England to make it to the 1/4 finals where they possibly could face Spain. If that happens I would imagine both teams would see it as a 50/50 game.

I find the whole question boring. Who cares if they get though to the 1/4 finals? We all know that max level for England is about that, or if very lucky the semis. You never have had your hands on that trophy, even on home ground - "Football coming home "- what a laugh.

Lets discuss more likable trophy winners. France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Italy, Spain. They all won it before, and lets add Czech as Czechoslovakia and maybe Russia as USSR also.

Pack your bags gentleman, you are losers.

Cheers!

Well, we know CBK won't be the one with the St. Georges cross flag waving it at the pub..LOL. 'Engerlund' should make it to the quarters...if they didn't lose it mentally in the loss to France.

So far no one has shown themselves to be the class of the competition. Spain should have beaten Russia. Germany seem to play well when not much is expected of them (2002 World Cup)

Its still wide open. How France handles herself (or are they written in the masculine? no, feminine, its France after all :: ) against the better countries. If they do well, its theirs, Italy next in line.

check_bin_krap said:

I find the whole question boring. Who cares if they get though to the 1/4 finals? We all know that max level for England is about that, or if very lucky the semis. You never have had your hands on that trophy, even on home ground - "Football coming home "- what a laugh.

Lets discuss more likable trophy winners. France, Germany, Denmark, Netherlands, Italy, Spain. They all won it before, and lets add Czech as Czechoslovakia and maybe Russia as USSR also.

Pack your bags gentleman, you are losers.

Cheers!

Stirring wanker! You must be having a larf! :clown:Netherlands? ... Denmark? ... Italy? ... Germany?

Really? So that's where you're putting your hard-earned money, is it? Pah! ROTLMAO...

NETHERLANDS - didn't even qualify for last World Cup, only sneaked into Euro 2004 via a playoff against Scotland, even managing to lose once there and continued to keep losing all over the place up to Euro 2004. Very unimpressive today (against the weakest German side ever seen), no team spirit, likely to collapse. Is that enough for you?

DENMARK - They're OK but won't win it. Their players are mostly average in the English Premiership.

ITALY - Unimpressive in qualifying (losing to Wales), Del Piero in bad form. Could barely create a chance as Denmark walked all over them. Why? Worst midfield in the world.

GERMANY - Pure shite. Lost 5-1 to Romania earlier this season, 3-0 to France and failed to beat Lithuania and Iceland in qualifying.

So why not England? Tonight, Gary Linker asked Alan Hansen, one of the most astute and stern football pundits on television, which team had impressed him the most after the first round of matches. His reply? "England". That's from a Scotsman, for fuck's sake!

(He also affirmed my personal feelings about David James being culpable for both goals conceded against France, btw. And I still think James is getting less criticism than he deserves for those.)

The only teams that have impressed me so far are England, France, Spain and, to a lesser extent, Denmark and Sweden.

The rest have been pretty dire. So, with the joint best midfield in the tournament, why can't England get far?

Having said all that, you should never ask the question, spirit-of-town-hall. Remember Brian Moore to Kevin Keegan in 1998, just before David Batty took his penalty? :(

You failed to get my point Bibblies. All the teams I mentioned in my post has won it before, you lot have never...

Yeah, before each tournament you manage to qualify to its the same talk from you English! Its so familiar and boring. And when you fall on your ass, its out hunting for scapegoats. Batty, Beckham or whoever. The reality, that your team is too crap is never admitted.

No way Alan Hansen who spent his playing career in England is any independent expert either.

Look at the game outside your narrow English views and face realities! :D

Cheers!

Spain should have beaten Russia.

------------------------

they did. 1-0

Germany seem to play well when not much is expected of them (2002 World Cup)

-------------------------

they rarely play bad (1998 a case for ex), and usually play way beyond the limits accorded to them (2002). The lesson yesterday is: don't write them off again this year. It's obvious that the great natl leagues players are not exactly in their element in this kind of late season competition, and a team like Germany, unoriginal but solid everywhere on the field, can pull it out. And, come to thin of it, this euro may be remembered for its goalies (+ Zidane ::)Not a prediction, just editorializing....

Will England get through to the 1/4 finals?

If they do that will be as far as they get.What a boring side.As for the Germans,they were absolute crap in the last world cup and still got to the final :(

I have allegencies to two teams this time as Mum was Portuguese!

Archived