crackdown on repeat visas?

pattaya127

All-

I just recently applied (specifically I re-newed) for my Non-Immigrant "B" visa at the Thai CG in LA... My passport is just over one year old and I have some 15+ entry and exit stamps in & out of the Kingdom...

On this last renewal, the CG called me to "explain" the nature of my work.. In the past I have always provided the CG with tax records, company registration certificates, letter of 'invitation' from Thai office and US office... in other words all the things that they ask for...

I have never been called to 'verfy' what I am doing... I politely asked why I was being called this time (as it was my first time).. The CG employee said that they were just be extra cautious and following a directive from the Embassy in Washington DC...

It was no big deal. Visa issued in two days and in good order. Just suprising...

I guess it is really true that Thai Immigration policy really is being followed more "closely" than in years past.... Of course, like all things, I am sure that the level of stepped up viligence varies for city to city, country to country.

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All,

With the situation concerning WTC and the terrerists, the Thai gov't might want to take more precautious and tighten their visa issuing a bit. I think it would hurt the tourism though. But maybe it's worth it at the end.

Originally posted by Sabaidee:

"With the situation concerning WTC and the terrerists, the Thai gov't might want to take more precautious and tighten their visa issuing a bit. I think it would hurt the tourism though. But maybe it's worth it at the end."

Right. With tighter visa rules they might even succeed in preventing some bunch of Bavarian suicide bombers from sneaking into the country - I've heard they had plans to blow themselves up in some Pattaya beer bars!

But seriously, whatever "benefits" any tightening of the visa rules may have, they are far outweighed by the harm done to the tourist industry.

[ October 07, 2001: Message edited by: Scum_Baggio ]

The government's thinking is simple they'd rather have a Thai employeed as a really bad english teacher than allow a farang to fill the position. It's a short term numbers game pure and simple.

quote:

Originally posted by William Ginzer:

At the risk of preaching to the choir, or at least part of the choir, I have to say that this is obviously true.

Why not just let the market decide? If Thais are qualified to fill the positions, they will be filled by Thais. Only a fool would pay more for a farang, and that fool would soon loose his business to more savvy competitors that hire less expensive local employees.

Shouldn?t students have the freedom to decide who will teach them English? Aren?t they in the best position to decide? If the foreign teachers are not providing value, won?t they go elsewhere? Doesn?t this type of common sense reasoning seem to fall on deaf ears in Thailand?

I got a repeat visa recently from Phom Phen with no problems. Some places have always been more difficult than others. The worst is probably Sri Lanka.

The people they are probably after are the Burmese, Cambodians etc rather than farang.

Countries with visa waivers to be reduced

The Foreign Ministry has sent cabinet a proposal to drastically cut back the number of countries with visa privileges.

Spokesman Rathakit Manathat said the number of countries allowed 30-day visa waivers would be cut from 57 to 37. Nations allowed 15-day visas on arrival would be cut from 96 to 13-17. The spokesman refused to give details but other sources said nationals from Burma, and some South Asian and African countries, stood to lose visa waivers introduced in 1986 to boost tourism.

The cuts were worked out by the ministry in conjunction with the Tourism Authority and the National Security Council.

Countries sending less than 10,000 tourists to Thailand a year, and with nationals engaged in drug trafficking, prostitution and other transnational crimes, were likely to lose privileges.

http://www.bangkokpost.net/News/07Oct2001_news04.html

quote:

Originally posted by sinsin:

Countries sending less than 10,000 tourists to Thailand a year, and with nationals engaged in drug trafficking, prostitution and other transnational crimes, were likely to lose privileges.

10K? Based on TAT's 2000 stats, this would only affect Egypt, Argentina and Brazil among the countries not lumped into "Others".

Probably mean tough titties for Russia and South Africa, too.

2YL

Hmmm. Interesting. My one year multiple entry visa came through no probs, but this time my work permit seems to be held up (normally just a working day or so, this time two weeks)..wonder if there is a connection.

In the same vein I heard that "visa on arrival" is on the way out. Not too sure what this means, but I think that its for those people who actually need a proper visa to enter the country (most of us don't), which until now they could get at the airport (that little side counter)...

-j-

Hi Guys,

I'm concerned about this Visa crackdown thing, here's why: I'm working in Taiwan, and it's fine, but I've really been looking into teaching in the LOS, and everything I've read (Stickman, posts on these forums, etc.) all seem to give the 'green light'. Come on and work here! they say.

I think changing the country I work in would make a nice lifestyle change. I'm lucky enough to have no responsibilities preventing me from improving the quality of my life.

Since I have plenty of English teaching experience in Taiwan, combine that with the TEFL cert I plan to get in LOS, I figure I could do OK and have a nice time in the LOS. Also, since it does matter in the LOS, I'm white skinned. I'm also a native English speaker.

Now I hear about this Visa Crackdown thing- is it a 'spanner in the works' for me? I want to go the legal route- Non-immigrant B Visa, work permit, etc. Why should they keep me out if I have all my papers etc. in order??

Basically, I like to make informed decisions -leaving Taiwan and moving to the LOS is a big decision for me!!! So, am I likely to be affected by this Visa crackdown?? Does anyone know?? Alternatively, where can I find the information I need to decide about this for myself??

This is really important to me, so thank you all for your input!!!!! smile.gif" border="0

• 2 weeks later...

Savittre--

If you really want to come to Thailand and work, I'm sure that you CAN... It's only a matter of how much hassle (or leg work) you'll have to do to get all the legal stuff done...

I travel for business and deal with visas all the time... In all my time I can say one thing with absolute certainty... You NEVER want to be on the WRONG (read: illegal) side of the local laws regarding things like immigration/visas, paying taxes, importing or exchanging currency and taking photos...

The LAST thing you want/need is to have to explain why your passport says that you were in Laos when in reality you were walking down Sukhumvit Road... hard to defend.

My two sataangs worth... do it right.. It may cost you more, it may take a bit longer, but you'll have "sleep at night" confidence that you're all "legal" and legit...

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Archived