crackdown on repeat visas?

pattaya127

Anyone, esp.expats care to comment on this bit of News I picked up on the BKK metro site:

---------------------------------

A good friend of mine had her application for a new tourist visa into Thailand denied at the consulate in Hong Kong. They said that as she had already had two tourist visas (each of two months) previously, and did not have a work permit, they would not issue her with another one. Although Hong Kong has always been a little tricky, I have since heard of this also happening at the consulates in Khota Bharu, Penang and Singapore.

After contacting someone at my embassy in Bangkok to enquire about this, they confirmed that yes, this is a part of a greater crackdown on those who are perceived to be working here illegally.

Has anyone else heard of this happening? If it was to be enforced across the board, half the English teachers in Thailand would have to leave! Aside from that, I have read nothing in the press here about this, so how are people supposed to know what to do?

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What to do: Get a work permit and visa!

The government does this not without a reason. With the current economic downturn and their own unemployment figures they have tyo do something to protect their citizens interest.

This is something that has been mooted for a very long time and this seems to be yet another piece of evidence that yes, it is happening!

I'm interested to watch when they start declining people entry at the airport and other entry points. Yep, someone who comes in and has a passport full of tourist visas and whose application says "another 30 days please"! These people will soon start to have problems too, in my opinion.

While in the past most English teachers used to be illegals, you'd be surprised how many are actualy elemployed legally these days. The vast majority are legal and anyone staying on for a while is legal. It is just too much hassle (and expense - on an English teacher's salary) to do continuous visa runs.

On a personal note, I used to do visa runs but it just becomes a pain, and there is always the thought in the back of your mind, what would you do if it was denied?

Stick

What a nightmare that must be, go out on a visa run and get refused re-entry. What of your life, your room, belongings friends etc.

There are plenty of people who don't work in Thailand but live on tourist visas. I suppose they are no longer tourists but applying for retirement or other visas is no easy matter.

Phil,

What happens if your passport goes missing on route?

As somebody else pointed out its better to get yourself a workpermit.

But there is a clampdown on this just now they want to see that companies are actually viable and not just a vehicle for farangs to make kife easy for themselves here. (as well as being an opportunity for me to pay tax to my favourite country ;-)

The Hamburger

Originally posted by think1stbkk:

"The government does this not without a reason. With the current economic downturn and their own unemployment figures they have tyo do something to protect their citizens interest."

C'mon - how many Westerners are working illegally in positions that Thais could fill in, as compared to the number of tourists lost by any hardening of the visa rules. The ratio is probably 1:100. The Thai authorities are shooting themselves in the foot again.

quote:

Originally posted by Scum_Baggio:

Originally posted by think1stbkk:

"The government does this not without a reason. With the current economic downturn and their own unemployment figures they have tyo do something to protect their citizens interest."

C'mon - how many Westerners are working illegally in positions that Thais could fill in, as compared to the number of tourists lost by any hardening of the visa rules. The ratio is probably 1:100. The Thai authorities are shooting themselves in the foot again.

Here, here. Well put. Also there are tons of guys who don't need to work but like to live here on tourist visa. Get ready to kiss their dollars goodbye also.

quote:

C'mon - how many Westerners are working illegally in positions that Thais could fill in, as compared to the number of tourists lost by any hardening of the visa rules.

At the risk of preaching to the choir, or at least part of the choir, I have to say that this is obviously true.

Why not just let the market decide? If Thais are qualified to fill the positions, they will be filled by Thais. Only a fool would pay more for a farang, and that fool would soon loose his business to more savvy competitors that hire less expensive local employees.

Shouldn’t students have the freedom to decide who will teach them English? Aren’t they in the best position to decide? If the foreign teachers are not providing value, won’t they go elsewhere? Doesn’t this type of common sense reasoning seem to fall on deaf ears in Thailand?

Archived