Cheap Eats In Pattaya--My Picks

expat

I'm posting this in hopes of others posting their best finds.

In no particular order:

The food court at Carrefour is cheap and good. Try the Pizza, good value.

My favorite gai yang (grilled chicken) is on a small soi off of North Pattaya road. If you're heading towards the beach between Third and Second roads, it's the small soi just before Thai House restaurant on your left. If you reach Lotus on your right, you've gone too far. Turn left and go about 1-200 meters. The restaurant is on your right. Look for sum tom makings and the chickens (they're flattened, know what I mean?). Their moo daet dieow (fried semi-dried pork with sesame) is excellent, too.

Same area, same side as Lotus, a few shophouses closer to the beach is a nice Vietnamese place.

Central road--Leng Kee has the best deal on roast duck--130 baht gets you half a bird. Scrumptious. Have heard other good things about this place, but only have tried the duck. Much cheaper than most places. Between second and Third again, closer to Beach road, near to and same side as Soi Buakhow.

Mozarellla cheese is 240 baht a kilo in Best Supermarket on North Pattaya road, compare to 340 at Friendship.

Best cheap Khao Soi (sorry, the stuff in the Royal Garden food court is inferior) is on Central road again, between Third road and Sukhumvit, next to DCO Computers on the same side of the road and between Carrefour and Foodland.

Hot dogs: applies to all of Thailand, I guess. S&P Italian doggies, garlic sausages are good, too. The bun is the key, thank god for the German bakeries in Pattaya--Friendship and Best carry their stuff, other places as well.

Well, not exactly cheap, but the Mediterranean buffet at the Montien on Wednesday nights at 530 baht out the door is a slice of heaven. Don't miss the Ceasar salad station and huge antipasto and cheese section.

The lunch specials at Duilio's next to Foodland are a good deal and the food is quite nice.

The frozen pizzas at Friendship and Best are home-made type deals. Must be a small company. A bit of extra cheese and sauce and they are quite nice, if you have an oven.

I don't particularly like Pad Thai, but the lady in front of Shenanigan's does it so well that I actually like it. The Hoy Tawt there is decent, too.

Best seafood: Naklua seafood market seems the freshest and cheapest to me. Wish I knew how to cook half of the strange creatures I see there. Get off your duff, grab some shrimp and throw them on the barbie. Thai dipping sauce (lime, chili, garlic, cilantro, sugar, fish sauce) and you're in heaven. (Throw in some ginger when you want a new treat.)

Tip: The McD's on Suk is cheaper than at Royal Garden. It has a drive through as well. Great for when you get back to town late, but closes by 10.

Sizzler's 99 baht salad bar is hard to beat.

Enough for now, I'll add to this as I think of things.

expat said:

I'm posting this in hopes of others posting their best find

Central road--Leng Kee has the best deal on roast duck--130 baht gets you half a bird. Scrumptious. Have heard other good things about this place, but only have tried the duck. Much cheaper than most places. Between second and Third again, closer to Beach road, near to and same side as Soi Buakhow.

Leng Kee is an outdoor affair - strictly chrome and formica in decor. Big menu. Two of my favs are:

#208 Fried Baby Clams with Roasted Chili Sauce is a dish made with the cutest little clams you've ever seen :: but the sauce is the thing! And no it's not killer spicy either.

#544 Spare Ribs in Brown Sauce are bite sized pieces of rib braised (?) in a very nice sauce which I'd guess is soy + tomato sauce and secret herbs & spices ::

Either of these gets ordered with rice and pak-pak luam, aka stir fried vegetables.

-redwood

My pick is TimTalay, Jomtien. Next to the Jomtien Garden hotel.

A very large beachfront restaurant, presentable with professional staff. Their kitchen is probably several times size of some entire restaurants.

99% of patrons are Thai, mainly families, which I read as a good sign.

To me, it's not expensive at all, some friends that came along also said it was excellent value.

If I'm not getting food from beach hawkers, I'm there.

One can take corporate business partners to the place, won't be disapointed.

They have many staff there but no single new face over last 2 years. Internally, they must be doing well too - that keeps their staff stay on.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived