Another Thai Idiom

Lamock Chokaprret

Was watching Thai TV with the wife the other day and heard an unusual Thai idiom. Liking these myself, I investigated and thought I'd share my results.

ja pai Pattaya reu Phuket, song fock song fy.

Meaning: "I will go to either Pattaya or Phuket but I'm not sure which yet." Apparently you can use the idiom when confronted with many choices (an indeterminate number) with the modification.

... ly fock ly fy.

The pronunciation of fock BTW is closer to the obscenity in English. I've found that Thai people love it when they hear farang use their idioms.

Discussion of this one (or other idioms) is encouraged.

[color:"red"]song fock song fy [/color]

The "fock" is actually for me, more like "fag" not with the "fu*k" in American, a little longer sound it is a "g" sound not "k". I also want to say that some people's ears only certain words, really, sorry!!! ::

I do not consider this statement as idiom, it is a saying that ones cannot make up their mind about something. I got scolded a lot about this type of behaviour and my parents used such statement becuase I wanted to do many things at the same time. Fortunately, I did not fall in love with 2 men at the same time! :o

This can be used when a man has more than one woman and is told to select only one.

Jasmine

How about:

"Ying wing ying Uan"

A Thai friend who loves to comment on how much weight I'm putting on replied with the above remark when I told him I had been runnin regularly.

It translates rougly as : The more you run (wing) the fatter (Uan) you become.

This is a pretty versatile construct, I believe.

Archived