Buying digital camera in Bangkok ?

tilac

Hi there,

I come to Bangkok next month.

Can somebody give advice on buying a digital camera in Bangkok ?

I used a Fuji Finepix A310 before and was happy with it. I look for something similar or better quality.

Is Pantip Plaza a good place to look ? Any shops recommended, what about pricing ?

Regards

tilac

Electronics in Thailand tends to have stiff markups. For reference, right now the big thai mail order www.tohome.com features a 5 megapixel Canon for 20590 baht on its home page. That's $100 US higher than street price in the US. Flash cards are priced terribly high in LOS I am afraid too (like double, triple, quadruple the price). Best compare prices with your location if getting a good deal is important.

I was in Panthip yesterday and would have looked for prices for you if I had seen the thread. ( I saw a Nikon 8Megapixel on sale for the first time ) Powerbuy is actually a store within a store in Robinsons and other department stores. I think a lot of it depends on whether they get a special deal, prices on their other stuff likes phones and MP3 players arent that competitive. I would guess its the same for the cameras.

I assume there is tax on the cameras so you should be able to claim it back from a normal shop - no idea if the online one can offer that. I would suggest going round getting prices at home, Schipol then Panthip and Fortune here before making the decision.

In your post you don't say what country you are coming from. If you are coming from the U.S., do yourself a favor and buy your camera in the States before you leave for Thailand. Lots of things are inexpensive in Thailand compared to the West. Good cameras ain't one of them.

Searcher

Archived