Different Types of Non-Imm 'B' Visas

Savittre

OK, the current visa situation seems to be in flux, but putting that aside just for the moment, I read today about there being 2 types of non-imm B visas, one being single entry, good for 90 days, for people applying for work in the Kingdom. Why 90 days?? I should have double checked before coming to the e-mail place, but I think you get a work permit for a year, so then doesn't it make sense to have a visa that matches, time-wise? crazy.gif" border="0

And, when you do get a non-imm B visa, good for 90 days, what do you do? Extend it, and is that a hassle or no hassle, or do you have to leave and reenter the country? frown.gif" border="0

As I'm seriously looking into setting myself up in LOS, I really appreciate your input here!!!

Do yourself a favor and go over to ethailand.com and read up on all the information available there. It is a hell of a lot of info.

There are two kinds of non-immigrant B visas. Single entry and multi-entry. With a Single Entry, when you leave Thailand, the visa expires unless you apply for a special "come on back in" pass or something.

With either visa, when you enter Thailand you will be stamped for 90 days. After 90 days, you will be illegal, thus you have to exit and reenter the country. The only way to avoid this is to get a work permit, at which point the immigration people will stamp you for a year or whenever the work permit ends or some such.

Non-immigrant B visas are usually issued as a 3-month, 6-month, or 1-year visa.

Seriously though, ethailand can most likely answer all your questions.

<<burp>>

gummigut wrote:

quote:

The only way to avoid this is to get a work permit, at which point the immigration people will stamp you for a year or whenever the work permit ends or some such.

I believe they actually issue you a new visa that corresponds to the duration of your work permit. When the work permit is renewed, so is the visa.

Be aware also, that for visas longer than 90 days, there is still a 90 day address reporting requirement. They want similar info that they would get on a visa renewal, i.e., any address or passport changes (such as addition of a new exit / entry stamp). This is also described on the eThailand web site. It can be done by mail.

There is also a 2 year non-imm B, multi-entry visa, but to be eligible your company needs to be organized under some specialized rules and be under the jurisdiction of the BOI.

[ October 18, 2001: Message edited by: Lamock Chokaprret ]

Lamock-- You're right there is an obscure 2-year multi-entrance Non-Imm "B" class visa.. and yes, the company sponsor has to be under the control of the BOI... The most common occurance of this is foriegn employees of Thai banks (Bank of Asia, etc).. I saw one of these visas from an American who is an equity market analyst for Bank of Asia.

As I have understood it, the Non-Imm "B" i issued in either one or multi-entrance... The big advantage of the multi-entrance is that you don't need to get (or pay for) re-entry permits every 90-days.. However, unless you have a work permit (or some other form of extension document) you still need to leave the kingdom every 90 days and re-enter thus getting a new 90-day stamp.. I've had a Non-Imm B multi now for a few years (I think this year I'll hit the magic mark of 3 consecutive years)

---UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Archived