Educating A Thai Child In a Foreign Land

Torneyboy

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Artiew.

You make some good and valid points :bow:

We have made up some ground of late.

And Zaads little Quiz on Thailand..has given us a tool we missed...make learning fun!!

Now have my Thai text books from my language class and setting questions etc on Thailand and he has to answer in English...simple ones at first....but is working.

An apple in the mail for you Zaad :up:

Thanks Artiew

"Now have my Thai text books from my language class and setting questions etc on Thailand and he has to answer in English...simple ones at first....but is working."

Good one TB, one way or another you'll get there. And so will he.

Goodluck!

Hi

He cant/will not..or does not,,,yet feel comfortable with farang kids as ""friends"" as they do at this age.

Had a chinese boy come home just before the current school hols started...they just sat and looked at tv....and the other boy went home after a short time...no communication!

getting better..still a long road to hoe.....Sisters and Thai friends just speak thai to him...i say.."no"" English please...trouble is most only speak a little English themselves.

I have a battle....but getting there bit by bit.

Wasn't sure about the English level of the folks at home. Yah, that's a problem.

Maybe there's a way you can rope everything together into a game where they learn together. Tough though.

Hangman seems to work, even for those that straddle several differing levels of English.

Never tried Boggle, that may work too with handicaps.

Words unknown to others can be explained in native tongue and then used in an English sentence.

I'll ask my friend who is still a teacher. When I taught, I made up a considerable amount of my resources, and I'm not a creative fellow.

<<burp>>

Torneyboy wrote in OP: "In the playground he is fine...not the most popular child in school but has friends he plays soccer/handball with every day."

Can't square the quote with you later writing: "He cant/will not..or does not,,,yet feel comfortable with farang kids as ""friends"" as they do at this age.

Had a chinese boy come home just before the current school hols started...they just sat and looked at tv....and the other boy went home after a short time...no communication!"

Can you enlighten?

Romp

Hi

"""friends"" term for playmates for the kids at school he plays with at lunch time....not after school.

They just play ..rather than talk to him .

The chinese boy was a once only visit.

He doesnt have a friend in the way we would say....just a few to play with in school hours.

I understand from the teacher these kids are Asian as well.

After school he comes home.....does usual kid stuff.

Weekends he is in a very tight Thai family group.

just a few thoughts:

"They just play ..rather than talk to him ."

surely play involves talk of exactly the kind that is useful for kids

"I understand from the teacher these kids are Asian as well."

Asian sure but english speakers I suppose

why dont you invite the school playmate over to your house?

Excuse me if this is assinine!

He tried that with the Chinese boy...but he could not talk with him...wanted to, but to hard at the moment...so the other boy went home.

Yes the others all speak English ...all born here ...non in the school like him....just arrived from another country.

He is reluctant to invite boys over just yet ...not confident .

School goes back tommorrow so we will wait and see how this term unfolds. :dunno:

Archived