Working, visa, permit

Hello all

If I want to work in Thailand (probably as an English teacher) can I just enter on a 30 day tourist visa and then sort out the work permit/visa with the employer?

I've read that farangs need to enter with the correct visa (non immigrant B visa I think, I've got the title somewhere here) in order to obtain employment but I can't get one of these as I don't know where I'll be working.

Secondly, if I get a job will I still need to do the visa run once a month or would a work permit/visa cover me?

Can't see how I could take a day or two off work every month for a visa run.

Thanks for any advice offered.

Your humble Potato.

If you are working you should get a real work permit, and you really should not bother working for the outfits that are too lazy to get one for you. That said, if you are determined to wing it, you can do a visa run in a day by going to Koh Kong on the Cambodian border, a longish bus ride past Pattaya.

To get a work permit, you must have a non-immigrant B visa so it is easiest of you can get oen before you come to Thailand - because you're going to need one eventually and that may require another trip out of Thailand. Having said that, it is hard to get a non-immigrant B visda without a job offer so it can be a bit troublesome...!

Once you have the work permit, you get a one year visa, and no, you do not have to do any visa runs.

Stick

quote:

Originally posted by Stickman:

To get a work permit, you must have a non-immigrant B visa so it is easiest of you can get oen before you come to Thailand - because you're going to need one eventually and that may require another trip out of Thailand. Having said that, it is hard to get a non-immigrant B visda without a job offer so it can be a bit troublesome...!

Once you have the work permit, you get a one year visa, and no, you do not have to do any visa runs.

Stick

Thanks for the replies chaps.

Work permit = no visa runs, good.

But the non immigrant b visa, as you say, is troublesomely catch 22. No visa no job, no job no visa.

I think that Phil and Ian at Ajarn.com advise *not* to try fixing up a job in Thailand before you leave your home country.

So I have to enter Thailand and find a job with a tourist visa in my backpocket.

Would I be able to head off to Singapore or similar to get a non immigrant B visa after securing a job?

Would a school be willing to go along with this, bearing in mind I have a good degree and will soon have a TEFL certificate?

And is the info ok from the visa gurus, found via ajarn.com, that I could enter on a tourist visa and they would sort out a non immigrant B visa while I was in Thailand, presumably for a fee?

What do others do? There must be thousands who have had this dilemna.

Thankyou

Your humble Potato.

Potato--

"And is the info ok from the visa gurus, found via ajarn.com, that I could enter on a tourist visa and they would sort out a non immigrant B visa while I was in Thailand, presumably for a fee?"

I'd check in to that first.... I seem to recall that Non-Immigrant "B" visas may NOT be obtained INSIDE Thailand, rather they must be obtained at an embassy/conuslate OUTSIDE of Thailand...

While I'm sure that there are lots of companies that offer the Non-Imm B service, I'd be very wary of such.. The last thing you need is to have Thai immigration discover an "irregularity" with your visa/paperwork.. It'll be very difficult to bs your way out of that...

As I always recommend, no matter where you are, you NEVER want to be "out-of-bounds" witn issues like visas, money or photos.. All of these can get you in to trouble fast.. Not worth it. Do it the right way.

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Archived