Getting a divorce

• 4 weeks later...

It was a same day process with her agreement and presence in 1975. Fortunately, no more recent experience. You can get the divorce from the U.S. Won't be real fast and attorney's fees, while not prohibitive will probably be higher than a round-trip ticket to BKK--of course one of those is probably what got you into this in the first place.

Attended a divorce in Issarn.

Thai lady divorcing a Falang against his wishes.

5,000b covered everything ..a couple of bullshit witnesses and it was rubberstamped.

TIT guys money covers EVERYTHING.

Get a local solicitor who knows the judge rather than an expensive outsider.

quote:

Originally posted by Fatbastard:

jap, Presumably you got married here. right. I'm in the same situation, Thai wife, not seen for a year and we are both living here but married in OZ. Ferked if I know how to get unshackled. Can do it in OZ but bloody hard (and expensive)without her signing the divorce papers.

Don't know OZ. Sue me ... In most parts of the world you can can divorced pretending *not* to know where your wife is. Ur lawyer will end up posting an add in a local newpaper and in case there's no response within three month, it will be assumed she cannot be traced indeed. In Holland the entire bloody thing will take two years but it works. It's a bit tricky but it works. In case people got married in LOS I guess I simply wouldn't be bothered. It doesn't strike me there's any sense in getting legally divorced in LOS. Plan to live in Phils and my brother in law is a pretty smart lawyer but perhaps because of that rather refuse to take anything legal in this part of the world very serious. It's all about "how much ... ". It's not about some puritan desire to actually implement "law" and "regulation".

Mind you, Phil lawyers simply *adore* praying on "cano" (= farang). Scores of Phil lawyers make a living out of filing bogus claims on behalve of former employees and in a 98 out of a 100 cases, the "cano" employer ends up settling. Don't know about LOS. Somehow settling a divorce case would seem advisable in case you plan to stay in the country. It could be one of those things you forget about untill she runs into a good lawyer. Better be pro-active.

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Update for those interested:

Arrived at Khorat Family and Juvenile court on 13th Dec, had the whole thing signed off and divorce papers handed to me within a couple of hours,I am not having to wait the 28 days as originally advised and the usual exchange of 'fees' seemed to make the whole process very smooth.

It is very clearly a matter of having contacts who can manipulate the process to suit our needs.

Although I had a lot of doubts about the lawyer I used and he was expensive compared to others (total cost 700 pounds sterling),I have no hesitation in recommending him, if he says he 'can do' then let him get on with it, asking questions or trying to understand processes only gave me a headache.

Fat bastard; spoke to my thai bloke who seemed to think you getting a divorce in Thailand is possible..but as always it will cost you.

Time to celebrate.. smile.gif" border="0

JP

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

If the marriage was done with the Buddha ceremony only without registration at the city hall, you are not legally married and all you have to do is walk away, just like the Thai men do. No lawyer, alimony, child support, etc. Divorce is quite common among Thais and is usually done without registration. Most bargirls are under this catagory.

If the marriage was registered at the city hall, you still can get an easy divorce if she agrees to it. It cost few hundred baht in fees. However, if she doesn't agree to the divorce, you might want to bribe her with 2-5000+ baht. If she still doesn't agree to the divorce, you need to get a Thai lawyer to grease and bribe the officials. This is Thai way of doing things and is very common practice. Corruption is way of life in Thailand and is the norm in Thai culture.

[ January 18, 2002: Message edited by: Traveler ]

• 4 months later...

Archived