Getting a divorce

nasty_1,

If the marriage was registered at city hall, and no kids invloved, not much of a problem.

just turn up there with your soon to be ex-wife with both copies of your Marriage certificates (the Blue one) plus the white form that you filled in, copy of you passport, copy of her ID card and 500 baht.

Hey presto 45 minutes and 3-4 forms later you will issued with your nice shiny divorce certificate (this one is yellow).

If there are kids involved, I cannot help you, since fortunately mine didn't involve any.

Hope it all works out for you.

I believe the only grounds for divorce (without one side suing the other) is mutual agreement and it can be done at any time and without a long period of separation. Both sides do have to be present and AGREE. There are questions about mutually owned assets, arrangements for children etc. Can be done at the original district office, or at an embassy overseas

I got marry in phuket. So that mean I have to go there to get the divorce?

How do I go by pulling my I130 petition once the divorce is complete.

Do I send a copy of the divorce paper to the INS in the U.S?

"themayorofpattaya" Thanks for the humor

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: Nasty_1 ]

Nasty,

You can just send a letter to the INS Service Center where you filed the I-130 petition telling them that you wish to withdraw the petition. In the letter, eference the A# that was on the notice you got from the Service Center acknowledging that they received your petition, and include a copy of that notice.

Alternatively you can just do nothing. The petition, once it is approved, will have an expiration date. Just let it go and it will eventually become history.

In either case, keep a record of it. If you later want to file and I-129f or an I-130 for another woman I think you may need to mention that it is not the first time. The fact that you've done it before will not hurt you on a subsequent petition, however.

Regards, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by Nasty_1:

I got marry in phuket. So that mean I have to go there to get the divorce?

How do I go by pulling my I130 petition once the divorce is complete.

Do I send a copy of the divorce paper to the INS in the U.S?

"themayorofpattaya" Thanks for the humor

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: Nasty_1 ]

Nasty_1

I'm in the process of divorcing my Thai wife and am doing it without her co-operation, basically I haven't seen her for 18months, I have a thai lawyer, the divorce petion is heard in the province of the girls family,(not where you got married), I have a date to appear in court on 11th Dec, I'm advised that four weeks after this date I will have my freedom back.I will post progress and experience if anyone is interested.

JP

Archived