A Question about Thai Customs....

Savittre

Hi Guys,

First, let me say I searched this forum and 'Career/Finances' as well, 'cause I expected to find something on this but didn't, ah well.... flames welcome smile.gif" border="0

I'm moving to LOS, I want to bring my desktop PC with me, bring the Case (AKA 'Tower') with me, put the monitor (Display) on a boat and pick it up when it arrives... 'cause the monitor's only 3 months old, and it seems a shame to ditch it, or sell it if I can, and buy another one. But, is that the smartest thing to do, as far as Customs goes? Thank you!!

For what it's worth, I'll be coming in on the 2 month visitors visa, and planning to get working, with the Work permit, Non-Imm 'B' Visa, etc. after I do TEFL.

[ October 31, 2001: Message edited by: Savittre ]

I agree with Nasty-1, If customs decides to

"mess" with you it will be a nightmare.

I think you could go to pantip and get all the stuff you need to make your own custom setup at a reasonable price.

A laptop would be easy to bring in, but a monitor, tower, ect. would really get attention.

I don't know what the recent policy is, but friend ( was planning on working in thailand) brought his set up. ( computer, monitor, printer, software, ect) and declared it.

they kept it all for over 3 months, and wanted him to post a bond ( about twice the value of the equipment) in order to use it in thailand,, and had to prove he was taking it back out with him.

Turned into a major hassell.

Given a chance, the customs ( not just thai) will like to mess with you.

anyone had any recent experience with this?

All--

The issue here is the "unaccompanied" import of goods... While most of the time anything you bring into Thailand with (on your physical person or your immediate luggage ) is given special non-duty import status, as it is assumed that all of these imported items will either be used up (examples= shampoo, toothpaste, etc) or re-exported with you when you leave (example= your clothes, shoes, laptop ,etc.)

However, when you do NOT accompany your goods into Thailand the customs department takes a very different view of these same goods. The assumption is now that the goods are being imported into Thailand for DOMESTIC CONSUMPTION and/or DEOMESTIC RE-SALE. Under both scenarios there would be some form of import duty VAT applied.

FYI, under current Thai customs duty charts, there is ONLY ONE item that is entirely exempt from import Duty VAT (irregardless of quantity).. Educational textbooks (printed books only).. All other goods have some form of duty VAT applied..

You can file forms with Thai customs indicating that your tower computer is NOT for re-sale or domestic consumption, however, in practice, the customs department will most likley require that in export bond be posted... Most bonds will range from 100% to 300% of the assesed goods value. True, you will get the bond back when you certify the good leave Thailand, but in the mean time you're "out" that money..

Therefore, in summary, I would not recommend using this import strategy unless you had substantial goods that you were importing (example= your entire household goods). It's just not worth the headache and hassels.

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

UPSer:

I'm glad we can depend on you to get correct/accurate info.

( saying that, and IMHO, I don't think it goes "by the book" in thailand)

I've been "screwed over" by customs a few times, enough to learn my lesson.

that said, I might also suggest anyone looking for computer stuff ( besides going to pantip) mite look at the large day market, bring a thai speaking person with you to ask about things.

I have seen computer items, fax machines, , ( some marked property of US embassy btw) if you are not squemish about bying things of unknown origin. ( and know what you are looking for)

just about everything you can imagine can be found there, just takes time and a lot of walking.

I've seen ( all in one day) everything from stero headsets ( lables singapore airlines) to vibrators ( dildos) ( no lables smile.gif" border="0 ).

Here are a few suggestions. Of course it is cheapest to hand carry the computer, or pay Excess Baggage to the airline but if you need to send it by air cargo, this is very easy to do:

You can hire a freight company to clear and deliver it or import clear by yourself at Bangkok Airport.

The below information is applicable for air cargo.

A. Consign the cargo to your full name (same as in your passport), passport number, country and address in Thailand.

B. Declare the items as "one computer set" as the main heading, and declare the total value. List the individual items (brand name, serial number etc..) but do not give each item a value. Your documents should have only one line item i.e. One Computer Set.

C. Make sure that the freight forwarder puts the selling rate on the airwaybill. Do not let them put "As Arranged" or "As Agreed". If you are paying USD 2.00 per kg from the USA to Thailand, make sure that it shows on the airwaybill. Better not to put any other charges on the airwaybill.

D. Make sure that you get a copy of the airwaybill, and the name/contact details of the agent in Thailand.

When cargo arrives in Thailand:

E. You will need your passport and then you need to get the original shipping documents from the agent here in Thailand.

F. You will pay Duty and VAT based upon the following:

a. Duty : 0 % (only if it is a computer set). 5 to 20% if it is declared as individual components.

Duty is based upon CIF value (meaning Cost + Insurance + Freight charges).

b. VAT : 7 % of (CIF value plus duty amount) (if any duty).

Warning : Do not undervalue the item, if customs stops it you will end up paying much more in Duty/VAT to get it out of the Customs Warehouse.

The whole process can be done easily by yourself in about 4 hours at the airport (once you have all the original documents).

A freight company could do it for about USD 85.00 plus the duty/vat.

A conservation total cost for a USD 2,000 computer system, approx 50 kgs from USA to Bangkok (door to door) would be about USD 450.00 all in. You can do it cheaper if you do the clearance yourself.

Good Luck.

Archived