Little Ol' Me Behind a Firewall??

gawguy

I am very good at taking advice and trying new things.

I recently asked about what Windows Updates I might need and I got good advice. I sent off for MS free CD and it is all installed and running well. Thank you guys for the help and info.

Along with the update CD there came a Security CD that contained ezArmor Antivirus and ezArmor Firewall trial software. The antivirus is good for a year and my Norton subscription just ran out so I installed it. Free protection for a year sounds good.

I also installed the firewall and immediately ran into the problem of not being able to post on NP without turning it off. I never had this problem with the free version of Zone Alarm, which BTW I had turned off because I did not put this computer online while in LOS. I use an internet shop. When I got back I forgot to turn it back on and since then I have been having unprotected intercourse with the internet. Oh My Buddha!!

But no problems. Turn on Firewall, problems. And I think it slows down web access (true or false?).

So really, here I sit, down at the most humble level of internet use, a true nobody in cyberspace, one of billions. Why do I need a firewall? Who would be interested in burning me down?

Thanks to advice and support from board members, I also have my happy harddrive mirrored, backed up and stored in a safe deposit box. (What! Me worry?) Why should I be running a firewall??

Gaw Guy

Hi gawguy,

usually they don't want to burn your pc, or format the harddrive. The bad guys these days want to use you computer to serve as bot for spamming, find out your passwords and banking details and credit card numbers and ...

A good firewall and antivirus keeps them out.

Recommendations about firewalls and antivirus are in many other threads so I don't name something specific. Just recommend to install one and turn it on. Don't know the ezArmor so won't comment on them (just if M$ hands them out for free they are maybe as good as IE).

Lots of free products around that serve an average user well.

Have fun

Archived