A good time to be Australian

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The first time i went to Thailand back in the dark ages 1979 I had to apply for a visa before going and got a three month visa.

I presume if you apply before going you can still do this rather than just get a visa on arrival.

If this is the case there is not much change.

I know the question wasn't addressed to me but...

In my experience they're worlds apart.

It seems to me that while Aussies have a healthy respect for Maoris... being a warrior race and all... many Aussies consider Abos to be just slightly less human than caucasians.

Maybe I'm wrong.

I have a funny story though.

I was out drinking with a Maori friend... built like a brick shithouse, and an Australian friend. A younger, equally well built guy.

Both had worked as bouncers but the Maori guy had worked in King's Cross and informed me.. much to my amusement, that his favourite punch was the Suplex.

The young guy from Perth started trying to act the Alpha Male, stirring the Maori guy up and all... The Maori guy finally said.. "Alright... enough of this, come outside now. I'll sort you out.".

They both left and me an my mates were left thinking the worst...

After about 10 minutes they came back. The younger guy looking dazed but unharmed. He didn't say a word all evening and had trouble walking home.

On the way home I asked the Maori guy what happened. "I took care of him bro.", he said with a grin. " I challanged him to a smoke up...", "See I totally fucked him up, he didn't say another word all night and I didn't have to lay a finger on him.".

I had a lot of respect for the guy after that. :)

spirit_of_town_hall said:

Art,

How do Maoris interact with Abo's... Do they instinctively get on?

STH

STH,

you said it first, "Abo" is a very bad word for Oz Aboriginies.

Worse than calling African Americans "Niger".

Most Aussies avoid using it. I believe you just did not know that.

Archived