What should I have done differently?

stonepony

While what you did was commendable, it was perhaps pretty foolhardy to say the least. What if the girls had turned on you (and some girls carry knives they or not afraid to use, or a bottle...)? What if they were part of a gang, with a couple of Thai guys lurking in the background? What if the farang has taken offense at you "interferring with his girls" (saying he regained consiousness long enough) and started in on you? What if the police had turned up, and you with his wallet in your hands and the girls turned and said that *you* were stealing the money?

As a general rule, I would always, in such situations, go with what you girlfriend was telling you. As your regular, she would have an interest in keeping you out of trouble, and she would have a very good feel for unsafe situations.

Sadly, the best way to look at it might be "evolution in action"

-j-

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

JI wrote: 'Sadly, the best way to look at it might be "evolution in action"

Is this what is meant by biological determinism????

Really, early on, I might have tried to get my girls to talk to his girls to get a handle on what was going on....

JI,

With all due respect, yes you're right about your 60 "what ifs" but don't you think some risks are worth taking (not only in this particular case) in order to help those in need?

I understand and respect playing safe attitudes but I personally couldn't walk away easily from similar incidents.

Robbing a guy in public is just insane and the last thing I want to see is those bitches walking away with the guys wallet and a smile on their face.

"As a general rule, I would always, in such situations, go with what you girlfriend was telling you. "

Because she is a Thai girl in LOS?

IME women suck big time at predicting unsafe situations. Everything's dangerous for them, they're the biggest exaggerators on earth! :p

If a thai tells me that a situation is dangerous i would proceed with caution. JI's point about other thais getting pissed off at the samaritan farang at 4am is a real possibility. Girls into drugging farang are not peaceful types and have not so nice friends. Its not safe to fuck with these sort of thais over another guy's wallet. Its replaceable. If more was at stake then maybe i would think different.

>Because she is a Thai girl in LOS?

IME women suck big time at predicting unsafe situations. Everything's dangerous for them, they're the biggest exaggerators on earth!

Well, there we have to disagree. I would suggest that a Thai (bar) girl (an assumption on my part, and no offense to the original poster if I am wrong) would actually have pretty good "street awareness".

In my (very) humble opinion, these girls have one of the most dangerous "jobs" going, They go frequently with drunk, potentially violent people, who often outweigh them 2 to 3 fold, who they have just met. They have *no* idea what they are going to get back in the room from a guy who falls instantly asleep on them, through one who gets kicks by knocking them around, right up to an unexpected meet with six or seven of his friends. As such not having a "feel" for people and situations probably equals a pretty short working life.

Furthermore, I would *always* reccomend listening to a local in *any* situation. They may well be seeing things you are not.

-j-

stoopid farang deserved what he got...

coming to thailand, taking off his shirt in a public place like some stud. and i'm just glad i didn't walk by because people like that owe me for just being alive... i would have lifted his wallet and given him a swift kick in the gut for a bonus.

scarves to the good samaritan!

Mailuk,

JI's point about other thais getting pissed off at the samaritan farang at 4am is a real possibility.

Yes true, anywhere btw, not only LOS unfortunately. I've read about such people offering a helping hand and ending up dead. That's incredibly sad, but so is doing squat IMO (obviously to a way lesser extent).

I may need a few more lessons in life and life experience itself before changing my opinion on this.

*Josh Ingu* :D

Furthermore, I would *always* reccomend listening to a local in *any* situation. They may well be seeing things you are not.

I would tend to agree with you if one's a complete newbie and knows nothing about the place of the incident.

Longtimers may not immediately follow that advice and bet on their own knowledge/experience etc.

*Cheers*

coming to thailand, taking off his shirt in a public place like some stud. and i'm just glad i didn't walk by because people like that owe me for just being alive... i would have lifted his wallet and given him a swift kick in the gut for a bonus.

How's your behavior (stealing and kicking) any better than his (taking a shirt off in public)?

I think you'd better say that you owe HIM for being alive ;)

>Longtimers may not immediately follow that advice and bet on their own knowledge/experience etc

Shrug. Dunno mate. On a board that considers some one with three holiday trips here an "old hand" (see other thread) I would still suggest listening to the local. And with others, you know the old saying "he can speak enough Thai to get himself into trouble, but not enough to get out of it..."..

-j-

Archived