What should I have done differently?

stonepony

Congratulations, what you did was commendable. It saddens me the not getting involved attitude.

However on the two occassions I have helped total strangers they ended up turning on me in some shape or form.

Now I think I would have left it, getting involved with drunk/drugged punters, bar girls and possibly the Thai police could be a recipe for disaster.

STH

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You did about as much as could be expected under the circumstances. I guess you could have stuffed the wallet down the front of his pants to up his odds of keeping it. But then it would be an awkward moment if he came to with your hand inside his pants.

Quite frankly I don't think this guy handled it at all well.

The stoneponey put himself at risk and for no good reason as he ended up doing nothing in the end. That's not smart.

Now the "drunk" was acting very obnoxious early on, so in my mind, he deserves to be taken. You don't come out here, be obnoxious and get drunk alone with girls of dubious distinction at 4am in the morning. It's not something one would do at home, certainly not something a farang should do out here. That's just asking for trouble.

If I was in stoneponey's position, I would have no problem turning a blind eye. Now if the "drunk" was acting decently, and I saw the girls slip a mickey, that's a totally different story...

Just glad that in the end stoneponey was able to walk away without any harm. Hopefully the guy who got rolled also "woke" up without any harm. Maybe he'll learn a lesson getting rolled as well.

<<burp>>

gummigut said:

Quite frankly I don't think this guy handled it at all well.

The stoneponey put himself at risk and for no good reason as he ended up doing nothing in the end. That's not smart.

<<burp>>

I have to agree with gummigut, in the end I really ended up doing nothing to help the guy out. I wish when I was in the moment I would have realised that he had been drugged. I beleive I would have made more of an effort. It was actually the little one back at the hotal who came to that conclusion after I told her how he was acting.

I venture that I may be flamed for this post, but..

Twice in Thailand I have blacked out after a heavy night on the beers (beer Chiang or Singha by choice). This has never happened to me elsewhere and luckily in Thailand has only happened in my room. The last time I collapsed in the bog, I still remember crashing to the floor and smashing my glasses as I fell. I lay blacked out for an unknown time and then went back to bed. Girlfriend slept through but when she saw the bruise on my face and smashed glasses in the morning it scared the shit out of her.

Not saying this is related to this incident but I?m wondering if there is something in the water, - most of the locals I meet stick religiously to the foreign beer brands, I?m wondering if this is for good reason?

You equal retrieving a guy's wallet to nothing, that's your opinion. I say it's much more than nothing. The fact that the act may repeat itself after you leave is irrelevant. That would be speculation.

Stoneponey did more than nothing and frankly...I don't see the great risk in that.

And another thing is that I don't mind taking minor risks to do something I find useful or good.

Now the "drunk" was acting very obnoxious early on, so in my mind, he deserves to be taken.

Not sure about that...all what's known is the following:

"At the table next to us, some guy is getting a little loaded and acting like a jerk, taking off his shirt and acting like Mr. Macho. "

I really need to know more about "acting like a jerk" before making a decison on that. And then still its a personal choice. Pissing 2 feet away from my table will set me into killing-mode while others may not have a problem with that.

Archived