Anyone see the new King Arthur movie yet?

Brink15

I just saw it last week and was half expecting another rehash of the same tired old mythology but to my surprise it took a totally different path.

Now, let me preface the "tired old mythology" line by admitting that in my teens I was a huge fan of Arthurian legend and collected dozens of books including the ubiquitous Morte d' Arthur by Malory. But it seems in the past few decades that movies based on the legend of King Arthur have turned into cheap vehicles for Hollywood special effects.

What I found was a movie that attempts to paint a more historical, albeit fictional, portrayal of Arthur. Overall I'd say the movie was not bad. Very decent cinematography and an interesting story line. The acting was outstanding as several actors I had seen in other things were so convincing in their character portrayals that I didn't even recognize them until I visited the movie's website. Many reviewers have criticized the portrayal of Arthur as too serious and mechanical, but in reality that probably best exemplifies what the demeanor of a 6th century officer in the Roman legion might have been.

The movie did two things for me. It awoke my interest in the tales of Arthur and in the history behind Arthurian legend. I've always known that the legend most likely bears little in common with the historical figure. Several of my books, including "The Quest for Arthur's Britain" by Geoffrey Ashe and "Arthur, King of Britain" edited by Richard Brengle, allude to Arthur having been a general rather than an actual king. But none seem to indicate anything close to what was portrayed in the movie. Yet the movie claims to be based on newly discovered information about Arthur's true identity.

Well, I may have found the source of this information, and if true it is very interesting. Surfing for info I came across the website of a David F. Carroll. It seems he spent 6 years researching historical documents that indicate Arthur did in fact exist, but was not a Briton. Rather he was a Scot. If you would like to see the book he wrote on the subject here is his website: Arturius - A Quest For Camelot

For anyone interested in Arthurian Legend I would highly recommend the film.

Hi Brink,

Having had the name Arthur 'bestowed' upon me at a very early age, I can assure you that it gets old having an endless succession of idiots dancing a little jig at the mere mention of one's name and intoning 'Are you the King of Camelot ?' ...... Tiresome in Kindergarten, but very old by the time I reached my 30's. I always wanted to change my name to 'Bruce', in honour of my heroes Messrs Lee and Springsteen, but then it seemed that only gay men were named Bruce, so I've just accepted my fate.

Glad you enjoyed the movie - God knows its a tale which has proven itself a rich vein for Hollywood over many years.

Cheers,

Artie

When I saw the trailers many weeks ago I wasn't sure it would be worth the wait. Well, now I can tell you it is well worth the wait.

Hey, by the time you get to see it I will have seen it at least twice............

....ehrrr...sorry...... :cover:

always wanted to change my name to 'Bruce', in honour of my heroes Messrs Lee and Springsteen, but then it seemed that only gay men were named Bruce, so I've just accepted my fate.

Gee, the maitre d' at a restaurant my wife used to like in Boston was named Arthur. He was also a flamer.............

.........sorry.......... :dunno:

Are you by any chance the King of Camelot?

Yes, Jack,as luck would have it, I am. Now, can I have my chocolate milk and a lie down, please ?

Brink : 'flamer' and Maitre'D : haw-haw-haw-haw-haw.

I can assure you, Sirs, that your jibes have caused me great emotional pain, and I hope that lice infest your nether regions in a biblical fashion.

'You cant handle the truth ! No truth-hander you !' : Sideshow Bob, The Simpsons

saw an interview with Keira Knightly a couple of Days ago and i was enlightened.

she said she was up for getting her tits out in a film if the role called for it,my kinda Girl.

but i imagine no flashes in Arthur........ :banghead:

ever seen 'Bend It Like Beckham'?.....she looked good in that and was no shrinking violet in 'Pirates Of The Caribbean'.

i'm not normally a lover of 19 y.o falang women,but she would be welcome to keep me warm at night.... :hubba:

Archived