Clearing goods through Customs at Don Muang.

steffi

So I order 80 pounds ie. cost worth of watch straps from the UK. Non brand name and the custom clearance company wants to know what brand and charged me more duty because some of them are "leather" and quoted me 5.6k baht to do the clearance including payable duty. Clearly he wants to start his new year shopping early. Twat.

So, does anybody have any experience clearing goods in Bangkok? I understand I can use any clearance firm I choose but it annoys me to have this guy try and take me for my money already.

Today I said to my wife. Today I will see the ugly side of your country.

I'm talking about 7 watch straps all different and for personal use.

Do it yourself. Cost you about THB 1,500 plus the duty/vat. Takes about 6 hours of your time, and better not on Monday / Friday or the day before a Thai holiday.

Make sure that you have all the original documents from the freight company along with your passport (if the shipment is in your name) or if in your Thai wifes name she will need ID card and House registration.

Go to the room called "Customs Service Center" after you have all the original documents.

a. Airwaybills

b. Delivery Order (D/O)

c. Comm Invoice

d. Packing List

e. Cargo Manifest

Good Luck!

When having things sent over from home, always make sure the package is small, personally addressed to and from, has no invoices or company names/logos, is valued for a pittance but insured for 'safety' and is marked as personal items sent from yur mum.

A pack with a handful of watch straps should not have been stopped, was it sent by courier? NEvER use them, always use good old postal airmail.

If it is stopped it will be at customs near hualompong station usually, depending on your location in BKK. Its easy to get it cleared, and with the right attitude for little money. takes a couple of hours if you have to go through it.

steffi--

Pom Michael is right, in Bangkok you can do it yourself. It's not exactly the most "streamlined" process, but at least you CAN do it yourself, if you choose.

FYI- Royal Thai Customs Officers at the airport and seaport (in BKK) are actually very professional and (IMHO) do a pertty good job of properly identifying and classifying your goods (to make sure you're charged the right % of VAT)..

One piece of advise, bring lots of supporting documents that clearly show the goods origin, material composition and intended retail/wholesale use.

Thailand has a VAT schedule that covers literally all 80,000+ items individually defined in the Schedule "B" Harmonized Tariff Schedules as ammended and approved by the WTO.

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Well today I managed to get a company associated with my wife's employer to handle all of this so whilst we were given an outrageous quote originally for 6k baht in the end that company charged me all 2.2k baht. Not too bad and only took one day and I didn't need to be at the airport.

quote:

Originally posted by steffi:

So I order 80 pounds ie. cost worth of watch straps from the UK. Non brand name and the custom clearance company wants to know what brand and charged me more duty because some of them are "leather" and quoted me 5.6k baht to do the clearance including payable duty. Clearly he wants to start his new year shopping early. Twat.

So, does anybody have any experience clearing goods in Bangkok? I understand I can use any clearance firm I choose but it annoys me to have this guy try and take me for my money already.

Today I said to my wife. Today I will see the ugly side of your country.

I'm talking about 7 watch straps all different and for personal use.

As always that battered old Roo(Jing joh)has given good advice. I'm bringing in regular shipments of leather gloves etc and have no problem following his advice. At the worst I have to go to the local post office and pay usually 300 baht, takes me 15 mins from home to back home. Each parcel is about 200 US Dollars worth and declaed as 20 dollars.

Archived