Moving to LOS-Customs Clearance at Airport

CosmicSurfer

I'm planning to make the move shortly and I am wondering about the possibility/probability of Customs opening my bags when arriving with my personal belongings at the airport.

I will have a Non-Immagrant "B" Visa and probably at least 4 large bags and a Box or 2.

I think it will be easier to bring as much with me as possible, rather than go through the hassle of shipping things by ocean... Even though it may cost more as excess baggage. At least then I will have my stuff for immediate use... and I'm sure that Customs will look at all my things more closely and demand more extensive documentation for any ocean shipment... and let us not forget the unbiquious gratuity to make things progress more smoothly.

My previous numerous experience as a business traveller with at least 2 large bags was that customs only once asked to see anything while I was passing through the "Nothing to Declare" line... Of course I was on a 30 day tourist visa then.

So what about now... with these changes of circumstances... 90 days N-I B visa and many more bags?

Any comments will be most appreciated.

CS

CosmicSurfer--

According to Thai law, if your are a TOURSIT, you can bring into Thailand a REASONABLE amount of USED personal goods for your stay while in the Kingdom.

IMHO, I would not go around telling them that you are a new "resident".. I'm assuming that your stuff is all used?? If so, I'd take my shots at having customs open my stuff.. You can explain something like "I'm going to stay 90days or so." The logic is that you really need THAT much stuff for such a long stay.

Only IMHO.

Other posters, you agree or not?

--UPSer laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

[ December 01, 2001: Message edited by: UPSer ]

quote:

Originally posted by UPSer:

CosmicSurfer--

The logic is that you really THAT much stuff for such a long stay.

Only IMHO.

Other posters, you agree or not?

--UPSer
laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Including a USA system TV & VCR ???

I want to keep some of my old tapes and play tapes my kids/family may send me.

Can I buy a US system TV/VCR in Bangkok? How much?

CS

[ November 30, 2001: Message edited by: CosmicSurfer ]

US voltage is 110V Thailand is 220V unless you have a transformer or the TV and VCR have a voltage switch (doubtful) (not an adapter plug) you will blow it up when you switch it on.

Most modern VCR play US and other formats, I cannot believe you are planning on taking stuff like that over there

Thai Customs more than likely won't give a shit what you have if it is not valuable, don't try and bribe them off the bat though, otherwise it may work against you. Tell them you always bring many things over when you Travel because you miss your home too much, or some bull and you like to use your own stuff and are going to rent an appartment with nothing in it, act like a bit of a moron, they'll probably buy it if you get interrogated at all

[ December 01, 2001: Message edited by: Swishtz ]

quote:

Originally posted by Swishtz:

US voltage is 110V Thailand is 220V unless you have a transformer or the TV and VCR have a voltage switch (doubtful) (not an adapter plug) you will blow it up when you switch it on.

Most modern VCR play US and other formats, I cannot believe you are planning on taking stuff like that over there

Thai Customs more than likely won't give a shit what you have if it is not valuable, don't try and bribe them off the bat though, otherwise it may work against you. Tell them you always bring many things over when you Travel because you miss your home too much, or some bull and you like to use your own stuff and are going to rent an appartment with nothing in it, act like a bit of a moron, they'll probably buy it if you get interrogated at all

Swishtz...

Thanks for the input...

Not only do I need a transformer, not an adapter (as you say), but for the VCR I need a "step-down" transformer to change the cycles from 60 to 50. I have done "some" research on the subject.

But here in the Good 'ole USA Multi-System VCRs are just not regular Over-the-counter items... So I didn't think that they were available at all.

But I read about one on the Shopping thread and I did a post there about a VCR that played multi-versions that was available for B5,000... a Panasonic, I think.

My comment about gratuities was limited to larger Ocean freight imports... An area I'm more familiar with. laugh.gif" border="0

Thanks

CS

Most of the videos you buy here are true multi system and also long play/standard play.

You are wasting your time carrying in this sort of stuff, sell it off and buy here. Its possible to buy secondhand also, hook up with some guys living here to find out where to go.

Step down trannies are a real pain, unless very big they get stinkin hot when running equipment like TV's and VCR's. example, a laser disc player from the US running with a 500 watt stepdown, would only play CD's, it couldnt spin the large discs, needed a larger stepdown just to run one piece of equipment.

What other electronics are you planning to bring? your mobile phone will most likely be useless, will need IME number reprogrammed minimum.

Maybe a list of things would be more helpful so we can give you an idea of cost here to replace it.

If I can get the equipment to play my VHS tapes in BKK I won't carry the stuff with me... That's why I posted to find out. laugh.gif" border="0

Any pointers to actual TV or VCR brands, models and cost as well as stores, would be most greatefully accepted from anyone that has a machine currently, or knows where to get one.

I already have a phone... bought it in HK when I was there last time (a few years ago). I needed it for my work traveling to China etc. I think it will work without any problems in LOS... I used it to test a Hands-free mic/ear piece at Maboohkrong and borrowed the stand owner's GSM card to do it. It worked fine.

The only other electronic thing I'm "thinking" of bringing is a small CD/Cassette player boombox... It is a Sony AC/DC unit... I'd use batteries in LOS... but I'm retinking this also now. It's probably not worth the weight... Cheaper to replace.

Thanks for the input.

CS

My luggage weighed 60+ kg when I arrived a couple of years ago, including a VCR, and a computer (excl monitor). Had only a tourist visa, and the customs officer didn't even look at the mountain of luggage I was pushing past him.

The only thing that worried me a bit was the XXX rated tapes that I also carried in one of the suitcases smile.gif" border="0

I use a Samsung which is only mono, but is multi system and SP/LP. It was 4400 baht, and is the only cheap video that has a built in tuner.

8K baht will get you a stereo multi system panasonic, sony, philips, with tuner built in etc, basically top of the range here.

All videos in Asia come without tuners, which means you cannot record something and watch something else, quite annoying.

quote:

Originally posted by BKKhomme:

The only thing that worried me a bit was the XXX rated tapes that I also carried in one of the suitcases
smile.gif" border="0

I have similar misgivings myself... I want the tapes to watch with my girlfriend. crazy.gif" border="0

She's not a BG and has only ever been with one guy... Her husband, who left her right after she had her kid... and has been with no other guy in 7 years. Now she has this big time built-up sexual energy just ready to explode all over me. wink.gif" border="0 Nothing like a few tapes to give her some ideas.... As well as a few other toys to play with.

Less than 4 Months until my BIG move. Can't wait.

CS cool.gif" border="0

BTW... How appropriate that this will be my "Cherry Busting" post... FINALLY "REGULAR"... This was easier than Ex-lax. laugh.gif" border="0

Archived