Farang civil rights?

[color:"red"] This I believe is no longer the case. Women can now own land, even when married to a foreigner (my wife owns 21 Rai and we have registered our marriage).

[/color]

Hi, thanks for the info. I went after this law hoping to see it in writing, so far, have not.

Not saying that they cannot buy,however, when it is time to sell, need to find the legal which says that the ownership is correct. I just talked to a Thai lady who works at NASA over here, she said the same thing that she cannot own a house, land, just the condos in Thailand.

There are historical law cases that some land/properties owners have been relieved of their ownership and none of these cases were EVEN women married to foreigners, just plain old Thais. The paperwork seems to be easier at buying time than selling time, may be I am just worried too much. I find the civil Thai laws, especially on land ownership is very complicated.

I have to have the written law in my hands to be able to relax on the issue.

Jasmine

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[color:"red"] There was never a law that prevented ownership of land by women married to foreigners. It was just a policy by the Land Registration office not to register land because there was no method to prevent a husband claiming such land after the death of the owning woman due to the common property laws of marriage. [/color]

I was told the same thing and was confirmed that a husband must sign about the money. However, I wish I could get that in writing.

Jasmine

http://www.dol.go.th/guide/foreigner_Eng_ver.htm

The above para 3 spells it out.

jasmine said:

[color:"red"] There was never a law that prevented ownership of land by women married to foreigners. It was just a policy by the Land Registration office not to register land because there was no method to prevent a husband claiming such land after the death of the owning woman due to the common property laws of marriage. [/color]

I was told the same thing and was confirmed that a husband must sign about the money. However, I wish I could get that in writing.

Jasmine

Archived