Farang civil rights?

Hi,

"BTW, I need explanation, i don't understand the not owning land thing. I just had 2 farang couples of my friends doing just that last month. "

Care to explain how they can *own* the land? As far as I know there is no way a foreigner can legally own the name (as in his name on the landdeed)

Sanuk!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

set up a Co who has the rights to the land. All i am saying before i get answered on technicalities (99 years lease, not directly owned, etc...), is that they can do with it as they see fit. keep it as such, sell it , or build on it. I don't think they care that much about the exact definition, bail, lease, have land, no have, ownership, not owners, etc.... as long as they have the rights to the land.

If you or someone has the explanation that they have been ripped off and the papers are just good enough to wipe their ass with, ie. have no right on that piece of land, I will be glad to forward to them. Please, do it quickly, construction may start soon.

thanks

Hi BB, non British passport holders can vote in council elections. Not parliamentary elections. Additionally Irish passport holders can vote in all elections.

I would like to see those farangs that have a stake in Thailand have some rights bestowed on them.

I am surprised that there are no farang lobby groups, additionally under the UN Bill of Rights an individual has a right to a family life...

Thailands policy on visa runs etc for those farangs that are married and with children would seem to contravene this article directly, in that the family unit can be arbitarily separated...

I am talking about long term respectable farangs, those with legitimate work, engineer, teacher etc or retirees.. (Not those involved in prostitution, entertainment etc )Under the current status quo they have no security.

I am so very surprised that farangs who would be so quick to remedy this injustice suffered by newcomers in their own western countries , are quite happy to be ( dry bum fucked ) by their chosen country Thailand.

STH

[color:"red"] So if a farang is married to a Thai, are they allowed to obtain a Thai passport in their own name at some stage and become a dual-citizen with Thailand and their own home country?

FlyP [/color]

OK guys, my 2 cents worth, last time in Thailand, I did a lot of research (also my brother is a Thai lawyer).

The foreigners who are married to Thai men have a right to request for Thai citizenship with certain qualifications, however, it does not say such about foreign men who are married to Thai women. However, there is a sentence that says it is possible if the men can speak, read, write Thai and have been residence of Thailand for certain numbers of years.

Alos the laws have more stipulations for Thai women who are married to foreigners on buying lands/properties. This really burns me up to no end for a Thai man who is married to a "farang" woman lose no rights, just us Thai women. Many Thai women, especially the ones who have things to lose do not claim that they are married (to foreign men) or never report it. Hubby have teased me a lot about my status of being married that is "Depends in what country one is talking about!". I don't know I will see the laws changed in my lifetime, there are no Thai women politicians who are married to foreigners who care to work on this issue.

It has been only recent that the ex-Thai citizens have speacial treatment of visa, before that we had to get visa with the same stipulations like anyone else. That has a lot to do with the King who stated very stronly that "A Thai is a Thai, no matter what citizenship he/she is using."

Jasmine

Hi,

"Alos the laws have more stipulations for Thai women who are married to foreigners on buying lands/properties. This really burns me up to no end for a Thai man who is married to a "farang" woman lose no rights, just us Thai women."

This I believe is no longer the case. Women can now own land, even when married to a foreigner (my wife owns 21 Rai and we have registered our marriage).

I do agree though that the differences between treatment of women and men married to foreigners is disgusting. I am not 100% sure on this, but I believe that a foreign woman does not have to show proof of income to get a 1 year marriage visa. A foreign man however does, even if his wife is supporting him.

Thailand is still a very chauvanistic country.

Sanuk!

Shouldn't it be at least 51% Thai owned?

-------------------------

From what I understand from all the people who have done it this way, thai sides of the contracts are passive "owners", and decline all prerogatives on the terrain. Something like that.

my friends have just come back 3 days ago, i certainly should get the full story and have it here, for infos, with the right vocabulary, that fails me for now, concerning RTs between co-signers.

I have no doubt that they are free to do as pleases with the place, as it's part of a whole land area cut in parcels for resale mostly to tourists (Koh samui). Actually, i think the owner of the land was a farang (many bought in Koh Samui 15 years ago, and are now reaping big by parcellizing)

" Of course none but they can obtain a uk passport after living here for three years (then vote), seems fair to me"

Nah... massive voting rights are a major setback of modern civilisations. Should be dumped along all religious holidays... like that stupid one on my first night free in BKK (sun 1st :( )

KS is correct. There was never a law that prevented ownership of land by women married to foreigners. It was just a policy by the Land Registration office not to register land because there was no method to prevent a husband claiming such land after the death of the owning woman due to the common property laws of marriage. This policy was changed some years ago and now property can be registered by woman by saying money is hers (not marriage joint ownership) and husband signing he understands he has no right to claim land. It is done every day now and hundreds have taken advantage of this change.

A woman does not have to provide proof of income because she is supported by the man. If you want a support visa you have to support. For a woman the Thai husband is expected to provide that support. A Thai woman can also provide the support (although immigration police would probably be the first to admit the bar may be higher in that case), but it can happen.

khunsanuk said:

Hi,

"Alos the laws have more stipulations for Thai women who are married to foreigners on buying lands/properties. This really burns me up to no end for a Thai man who is married to a "farang" woman lose no rights, just us Thai women."

This I believe is no longer the case. Women can now own land, even when married to a foreigner (my wife owns 21 Rai and we have registered our marriage).

I do agree though that the differences between treatment of women and men married to foreigners is disgusting. I am not 100% sure on this, but I believe that a foreign woman does not have to show proof of income to get a 1 year marriage visa. A foreign man however does, even if his wife is supporting him.

Thailand is still a very chauvanistic country.

Sanuk!

:)

I have thre friends, 1 female two male who are 100% farang, have Thai Passports, (and other passports) and are quite happy with their lives here,

KS - you could set up a software compnay under boi privialge, which you can own 100%, and that can own land

However dont come to australia, because you cant buy a 2nd hand house or condo there!

JB

Archived