US tourist found dead

chuckwoww

Police suspect either suicide or murder. That sounds about right.

Published on Jul 16, 2004

An American tourist was found dead in his Phuket hotel room police said yesterday.

The body of John Beyer Chris, 43, was found in Katu district yesterday at 11am, said Lieutenant Padungpong Duksukkeaw of Katu police station.

His body was in bed with one hand tied to the headboard, the other handcuffed to a chair. An oil-soaked cloth covered his face. His room was ransacked.

A letter, addressed to another foreigner, found nearby, stated that Chris had failed in a joint business with friends.

Police said they suspected either suicide or murder.

Hotel staff said the man checked in on July 9 and on July 12 was seen by an employee taking a black plastic bag to his room. It was the last time he was seen alive.

THE NATION, PHUKET

Yep, the Thai fuzz are, as always, on the button. :applause: I'm sure I read somewhere that more than 70% of falang suicides in Thailand ransack their own rooms before taking their own life, and nearly all of these then carefully place an oil-soaked cloth over their face after securing both their wrists to separate articles of furniture. :o

Strange that he forgot to put the black bin liner over his head though, once his hands were cuffed and tied to the bed. :: That's very unusal and very suspicious. :nono:

jack :help:

chuckwoww said:

Police suspect either suicide or murder. That sounds about right.

Hands tied, rag over face: suicide or murder. What a bunch of maroons (TM Daffy Duck). So, they've apparently ruled out natural causes as the cause of death.

Of course, he may have been practicing "oil eroticism" and went a bit too far.

Hi P127, Remember when they found this german owner of a famous german restaurant located at Soi 4 Nana?

The german guy was found naked, a plastic bag over his head and cuffed on both hands and ankles to a chair.... :: Police reported later that this was a definite suicide and closed the file.

Cheers,

Maybe thai logic applies here:

suicide to deal with ( piss off) some thais

suicide for them to come to thailand in the first place ( reason he/they died)

Singhaman said:

The german guy was found naked, a plastic bag over his head and cuffed on both hands and ankles to a chair.... :: Police reported later that this was a definite suicide and closed the file.

Cheers,

Now guys, I admit there is a lot of humor in these posts, I really liked the comment about dying of natural causes, but lets get real for just a minute.

I know the Thai police force is corrupt on many levels, but to have such a obvious crime scene and to call this a suicide is just to much for me to stomach :: :: Please tell me you are joking.

If you aren't joking, the next obvious question would be, was this murder investigation, if you call it that, done so half asses because the person was a farang?

>>I hope one of us gets to hear the cop's rationale for thinking it could be a suicide.<<

The real mystery is why they anounce it as a possible suicide at the same time they release the facts that show its not.

The cops are not as dumb as they sound when they make these announcements, some cops in LOS are actually competent. My guess is there is an unwritten standing order in some districts that most tourist deaths are not to be ruled as murder as its bad for business. When a cop states the facts of an obvious murder then in the same breath says suicide, he is making a point and venting some frustration at the standing order. So maybe not as heartless as he seems.

Before someone asks, the above is only speculation by me.

MaiLuk said:

>>My guess is there is an unwritten standing order in some districts that most tourist deaths are not to be ruled as murder as its bad for business.

OK, let say for argument sakes there is a "Standing Order" and most farang murders are ruled as suicides. Do the police still continue their inversigation and try to find the bad guys and make an arrest or is it open season on any tourist.

I would think/hope the case would still continue to be looked into even though they ruled it as a suicide. I know this is Thailand but I surely can't be crazy for thinking this way.

Archived