Retirement

The answer to the question of why in hell anyone would want to live past the age of 65 is: because you probably won't be ready to die then. Just ask yourself know how old you feel. I am 55 and beginning to feel the encumbrance of age, but inside I feel like a 10-year old kid. I expect at age 80 I will feel rather more slowed down physically and still feel like a 10-year old kid inside. When we look at old people we only see the outside and imagine that it is not worth living like that. Very few old people feel that way themselves. There are a few who decide to take an early exit, but not many.

When projecting myself into that unfamiliar situation in the future it seems reasonable that I will feel the way most of them feel.

Simply put, if you aren't ready to die now you probably won't be ready to die at 65.

Therefore, it seems prudent to provide for the cost of living, however difficult it is to do so.

Khun Pad Thai

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

KhunPadThai wrote...<snip>..The answer to the question of why in hell anyone would want to live past the age of 65 is: because you probably won't be ready to die then. Just ask yourself know how old you feel. I am 55 and beginning to feel the encumbrance of age, but inside I feel like a 10-year old kid. <<

Ack, not live beyond 65? Well, as I hit 62 this year, I maybe be slowing down, but I'm sure a lot healthier than most of the farangs I see in Pattaya!! All my mechanisms are in excellent working order and I expect that to continue for many years to come. Yet, when golfing I often jog/run, and wonder about the many morbidly obese farangs, which are 10-20 years younger in their beer laden golf carts, and doubt many will never survive to 60...or less!

artiew said:

I'd far prefer even *5* genuinely fantastic years upon retirement to 30 years of trying to string the money out .....

Maybe it?s a god idea to set up a budget.

I?m 47 and planning to retire in less than 5 years. I have an idea how much I need to jump ship, how much I can spend each month, and how long it will last.

If my budgeting and assumptions on ROI and inflation are correct, there should be enough money to live the lifestyle I choose until I hit 80. If I live as long as my parents, there?ll be more than enough money. If I live as long as my grandparents, I?m screwed. Oh sure, there will still be payments from the government but that will only provide a very basic lifestyle of around $1,300 per month (adjusted).

Then again, something not figured into the budget is that one could expect their spending habits to get smaller as one hits the later years. A couple soapies a week is good clean fun now, but it?s difficult to see myself doing that when I?m 78.

[color:"red"] do enjoy live NOW whilst most of you are working your ass off for a hypothetical "good old age"

[/color]

I know what you mean. That was one of the toughest decision I had to make realizing that I might not live to enjoy what I have earned. My problem was also, Hubby who eventhough is 9 years older than me wanted to work until he is 65 (don't ask me why), I fI didn't retire first, he would still be at work. Not that he is really being idle now, he volunteers to do 2-3 jobs without pay, but that is another story.

I feel that the difficult part is the cost of health insurance, average, $700/mo/person here and not many people can afford that. We are lucky that Hubby is retired AF guy so military has a very good plan.

Just another POV.

Jasmine

Guest lazyphil

If you have good health thats a start. Personally I prefer to enjoy my money now, holidays, going out and enjoying life now etc, I'm not going to stress about when I get old, I dont worry about it. Mind you I have a pension and life insurance. People in the 3rd world spend a lifetime stringing money out incase in escaped your attention on your Asian jaunts.

[color:"red"]My question is : why the hell would anyone want to live past the age of 65 ?? [/color]

Hi,

Now my dear, being at your age, you should know better that in 20 years, if God is willing, you may still in a good shape and feel the same way now.

Hubby is turning 63 in a couple of months and I am having a hard time keeping him still. He is coaching/officiating HS football teams, teach motorcycle safety class, does ballroom dance 3-4 hrs/week, not mentioning cutting 2 acres of lawn and putting up with me!!! :D

How we planned our retirement is that we set aside a bigger amount of yearly income for the first 10 years of the retirement higher than other time. We figured that we will have energy in the first 10 years to travel and do things more.

I think it is wrong to think that being in certain ages can have a good time. Also, we all love life no matter what age we are. For example, my mother in law whi is 88, fell and can not walk, she still thinks that one day she will walk!!! :(

Cheers!

I am not too worried about not having enough for retirement because i do not intend on retiring.

By hook or by crook i will continue to make money until the day i die.

There are always means of generating extra cash and it is just a question of continuing to make money.

There is of course health related issues that may come into play as you get older but doing some kind of work is not only good for you economically but also good for your health.

When you get older you can't drink that much and party that much anyway so what better things do you have to do with your time. You can always do some part time work or have some sort of small business interest.

In the next 20 years there will be many senior citizens in the workplace as many will not have enough to retire.

This is not necessarily a bad thing.

Art,

I've always thought I'd die at age 54! I wrote in a journal in Jr. high, high school, college, and after this statement, "I'd rather burn bright now and fade fast". I have 26 years until that day! As the years come I haven't fallen from that thought at 12. Knowing that I will end my life at 54 gives me purpose and direction as time needs to be spent well and enjoyed. If naturally death doesn't occur, as it most likely will, I will place a contract on myself. I live life to it's fullest and entertain all I want to it's maximum. Yeah, I work but I enjoy my life and what I want. I do it my way and on my terms. I think around my mid fifties my heart will just stop and I'll die.

Jep dii

Archived