What is needed for a Type "O" Non Immigrantvisa?

steffi

And it has to be applied for outside of Thailand right? So I assume an overnight stay is necessary?

quote:

Originally posted by coquetislander:

Just a marriage certificate, one photograph and the completed form and fee. (40 something sing. dollars or local equivalent).

Yes all visas of whatever class must be obtained from outside of the country. Usually the timing is:- apply before 12.00 noon and collect the following day (sometimes the afternoon of the following day)

The likelyhood is that you will be given a 3 month visa, or a years multiple entry visa which in practice is a series of 3 month visas requiring you to do a hop out of the country every 3 months. The only way round this that I know is to have a certain amount of cash in your bank account, and I know that in the UK that money can still be in your UK account. I'm afraid I dont know the amount required off hand, but it is quite substantial (to show you can live off it for a year, I suppose)

Well we went to Soi San Plu yesterday and I was told point blank that I would have to show 200k baht in a Thai bank account in join names in order to apply for Type O in Thailand. I was also told that I would have to show 200k baht if I applied for Type O outside of Thailand.

However, I was able to extend my TR visa for another 15 days... requested 30 days and I got some stamp that says that they are reviewing the decision and to return to them on the 25th for an answer. My concern is that the 25th is the last day I'm allowed to stay without incurring overstay (I have never incurred overstay and I don't want to) so I may choose to re-enter Thailand before the 25th in order to get a 30 day visa that lets me stay until the end of December. I don't need to stay here past December.

quote:

Originally posted by Johnny Was:

The likelyhood is that you will be given a 3 month visa, or a years multiple entry visa which in practice is a series of 3 month visas requiring you to do a hop out of the country every 3 months. The only way round this that I know is to have a certain amount of cash in your bank account, and I know that in the UK that money can still be in your UK account. I'm afraid I dont know the amount required off hand, but it is quite substantial (to show you can live off it for a year, I suppose)

Steffi, I think you've been lied to. There's been no need to demonstrate a bank account when applying for an "O" from an embassy in the past. Since you're bugging out anyway, why not visit Penang, KL or Vientiane and get the real deal -- they won't ask about your bank account, I promise.

Remember, for Thai civil servants it's easier to lie than admit ignorance.

Archived