Hard drive problem?

keekwai

Mouse,

good points. But I made sure, no virus, bios ok, set it to the slowest options but no success, then set it back to correct settings. Reseating only showed that both memory modules were ok. Even unmounted the keyboard of the laptop to clear CMOS, flashed the newest BIOS. Spent hours and had to give up. Was a leased laptop due to replacement so by now some poor ebay-user will struggle with it.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi,

one more to add to the hard drive problems. Since some time I have a handy bootable CD including many tools. Better than hving all these tools on floppy and I don't need to search these tools all over the net. The CD is free, download is 51 to 122 MB, depending if you take the selfextracting exe-file or the iso-image. It's called the ultimate boot cd .

I needed it myself yesterday. Had serious problems with my filesharing-drive. One of those infamous Maxtor drives. Now I can tell one died on me, too. Though I lost about 90 GB of data nothing of it was important stuff.

I used ultimate boot cd to check the drive with drive fitness test, and after it reported I have a problem with the disk but it ain't an Hitachi one I ran Maxtors Power Max. This not only showed me the type of the drive, but also the firmware number and the serial number and an error code for the drive.

I ran an memtest from the CD just to make sure the harddrive is my only problem.

I do have many of these tools somewhere as floppys but the CD is much easier to handle. I just hope you'll never need it.

Better than hving all these tools on floppy and I don't need to search these tools all over the net. The CD is free, download is 51 to 122 MB, depending if you take the selfextracting exe-file or the iso-image. It's called the ultimate boot cd .

Thanks for the link. I just run across a problem as well that may be hard-ware related and have to run some diagnostics as well. I'll chuck out the floppies and use this cd instead!

Cheers,

soongmak

Archived