100 mg aspirin per day ?

Zorro,

I agree. Some of these general assumptions don't hold water. While being checked for cholesterol I noticed a sign on the wall of the blood test center that said, "50% of people that have a heart attack have low or moderate cholesterol.". So maybe we are being misled about the relevance of cholesterol in risk for heart attack. But if we don't take statins to lower cholesterol, then the pharmaceutical companies would suffer!

Auricman

Hi,

As NKPED pointed out, the recommended dosage is ~80mg per day. In the US, my doctor recommended one baby aspirin. If you have stomach problems use buffered aspirin.

As far as aspirin help prevent deep vein thrombosis (DVT) according to the Thai doctor I have (along with DVT), this is simply not true. I have had three attacks of DVT and will be on Warfarin (a blood thinner) for the rest of my life. I also asked if the Warfarin would help prevent strokes, he said no, two different animals. Does anyone have info on this from sources like the WHO, AMA, or BMJ? I would be curious to know.

DR

OK,

Got off my lazy butt and did some googling. Here is what I found:

Can aspirin help?

Aspirin makes the blood less 'sticky' and reduces its tendency to clot.

But such benefits may be outweighed by its potential to irritate the stomach lining or an existing stomach ulcer.

It is not yet proven whether aspirin, or any other blood-thinning drug, will reduce the occurrence of DVT.

http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/travel/diseases/dvt.htm

DR

Thalenoi,

I am sort of f**ked with the aspirin (or any drug containing aspirin) thing. Taking Warfarin--which does nothing to help prevent strokes or heart attacks--my doctor said that I should not take ANY aspirin because it will cause the blood to thin further, making internal bleeding (all bleeding) easy to begin and difficult to stop. Looks like it's exercise and a healthy diet for me. F**K!!

DR

You could try using the herbal treatments for heart conditions like garlic , ginko biloba, hawthorn, co enzyme Q10.

Plenty of info on the net if you search.

Take charge of your own health and don't depend on magic bullets from doctors.

Archived