bringing my Thai gf to US

Hippie,

They don't necessarily need to see that she has money in the bank "as a show of stability". They want to see that she has funds adequate to finance the trip that she proposes, so that she doesn't have to work or go on public assistance during her stay in the USA.

You say that you will be bringing her over here, which I presume means that you and she are good friends and the purpose of her holiday will be to visit you. In which case, you - not her own bank account - can be the source of her funds. This can be tricky. If presented well it can improve her chances of getting the visa, if presented poorly it can doom her chances. See the B1/B2 visa Notes section of the Foreign Affairs Manual (FAM) for some good guidance on what they look for when processing a B2 visa application. Sorry, I forgot the section number. You can find the FAM from the DOS web site.

Regards, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by Old hippie:

I have considered bringing an old "friend" over here for a 21/2 month holiday. She is 40+ same job for 2 years, no money, no kids...spent some time in Germany, it could be o.k. but I still think difficult. Any idea how much money they want her to have in the bank as a show of stability? Also, any idea how long it takes to get through the process?

Archived