bringing my Thai gf to US

Yes. Check the 'visa (USA)' section of the Thai-Farang Board on Delphiforums.

If your an expat living in Thailand you should have little problem. If you're not an expat you may have considerable problem, but such problems can possibly be overcome if you prepare well.

Regards, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by ultramann:

Anyone ever had experience with what it takes to bring a Thai girl over to the US for a visit.....or to maybe have your baby in the the US? <dry chuckle>
frown.gif" border="0

Agreed! It CAN be done, but is NOT easy by any measure... Good preparation, documentation and a solid "story" will only help your cause.. a dose of luck can't hurt either.. Read up on this BEFORE you apply!

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

Baby? If your not joking about that, that in itself might throw a monkey wrench in the process. If she came to the states and baby was born, it would become an automatic American citizen. The consular officers might balk at issuing a visa if they knew she was expecting. The reason..she could become a "public charge" meaning Uncle Sam would be responsible for her and the baby's medical care plus all the other welfare programs available.

Thanks HSTEACH.

I also have heard (unsubstantiated as of yet) that if we decide to have the baby in Thailand (and not marry); that I as the father can claim paternity within a certain time limit and that would ensure that the baby gets US citizenship as well. Can anybody here confirm or refute this?

[ December 12, 2001: Message edited by: ultramann ]

Without going into all of the specifics, it's true. If you want some confirmation, go to the downtown Honolulu library and find title 8 of the United States Code, section 1409. Among other things, you will need to agree in writing, to support the child until the age of 18. Once you have all the paperwork in order, you and/or the mother would close the deal by applying, on behalf of the baby, for a U.S. passport for the child at the embassy in Bangkok.

I have considered bringing an old "friend" over here for a 21/2 month holiday. She is 40+ same job for 2 years, no money, no kids...spent some time in Germany, it could be o.k. but I still think difficult. Any idea how much money they want her to have in the bank as a show of stability? Also, any idea how long it takes to get through the process?

I think if she went for a B2 interview there would be red flags in the consular officer's mind. She does not seem to have an overwhelming reason to return to Thailand at the expiration of the visa. In the CA's mind, she could become an overstay. An illegal immigrant. Reason? No money in Thailand, no children, short current employment. Good luck in trying to get her approved. As far as how much money she would have to have, I really don't know.I do know that if a big chunk of change suddenly appeared in her bank records, that in itself would make the CA's ever more suspicious. Good luck!

HSTEACH--

Agreed.. no money.. no kids.. #1 & #2 things that they look for are economic and family ties to Thailand..

Same job is good, but if the job doesn't pay really well then that may actually work against you.. the girl may be looking to come to amerika to WORK! bad.

it's just hard to meet that "compelling ties" test..

--UPSer

PS: It can be done, but for most, they lack the necessary proof/documents to do so.

Archived