Show up at interview or not??

I'm curious whether it makes any difference if you show up at the K-1 fiancee visa interview at the US embassy or not. I showed up for the last one (old g/f, don't ask....) but would rather not spend the money to fly over this time if it doesn't make a difference.

I guess what I'm really asking for those who have done it is - do they treat the girl any differently during the interview if the US citizen isn't there? They were pretty polite during the last one, and didn't grill her too much.

PakWaan,

My guess is that it doesn't make any difference if you attend your fiancee's K1 visa interview or not. I didn't attend my wife's interview in July 2000, and she got her visa.

She did get a good grilling, by the way, but it wasn't with regard to herself. Her son was applying for a K2 visa to come with her, and the consular officials went to great length to assure themselves that he was really her son. This was not too long after the incident where the Thai boy was loaned or rented by his parents to another couple to enhance the appearance of a family so they could get a visa to the USA. They were caught on entry in LA, the man and woman were turned around but the child was kept in the USA for medical treatment. I think he was HIV positive or something. I think the embassy had been burned like this a few too many times and too recently at the time my wife and stepson had their interviews.

Anyway, I don't think your wife should have any problem without you.

Regards, JEff

quote:

Originally posted by PakWaan:

I'm curious whether it makes any difference if you show up at the K-1 fiancee visa interview at the US embassy or not. I showed up for the last one (old g/f, don't ask....) but would rather not spend the money to fly over this time if it doesn't make a difference.

I guess what I'm really asking for those who have done it is - do they treat the girl any differently during the interview if the US citizen isn't there? They were pretty polite during the last one, and didn't grill her too much.

PakWaan--

I agree with Jeff, the embassy is not looking at YOU, rather they are looking at HER.. With that said, if you CAN be there it would be a help.. kind of a moral support.. You must remember that for most thais the American embassy is not Disneyland and is quite scary.. plus, they (your girl) has A LOT riding on that 10 minute "interview" screw it up and you've got a real problem.

For most, the interview is just routine, but I'd prepare her well.. I suggest that you take her to the embassy in person one day, so she can see exactly what happens.. does alot to reduce the fear factor...

Again, if you CAN be there, all the better, but if you prepare her and she is ready, should be no problem.

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

BadaBing --

The current set up is that you first sit in a general "waiting room" type of place (much like a hospital waiting room) until your number is called..

Then you walk up to the "window" which is just like a bank teller's window.. glass screen between you and them.. that is where the interview is conducted.. there is a "pass-thru" tray for the exchange of paperwork between sides..

As far as I have seen, there is no restriction about financees being present.

I have seen many farangs walk-up with their TG's to the window when their # was called.. I have yet to see (or hear) of anyone being told that the interview is for the lady only.

--UPSer

PS: I noted that the 'average' interview time given was under 10 minutes from start to end. laugh.gif" border="0

UPSer

Thank you for translating my wifes broken english version of the interview laugh.gif" border="0

I do remember her saying it was more about the ton of documents being in order than her or myself. Hers was 15 minutes , Guangzhou PRC.

BadaBing

[ December 12, 2001: Message edited by: BadaBing ]

That's how the last one went that I attended - a couple minutes at the window, and that was it. No off-color questions, very polite. I was just curious if they were being nicer because I was within earshot.....

Do you need to go? NO!! Not necessary. If the paperwork is in order, there are generally no problems. K-1's fall in a different category than the B1-B2 visas. If the affidavid of support and her Thai legal documents,ie, passport and birth certificate, are correct, she shouldn't have a problem at all. Interviews are done in either English or Thai so there shouldn't be a communication problem. One word of caution. Make sure her day of birth match on both the passport and the birth certificate. This can be a major problem. My "X" thought she was born in July, but when she got her birth certificate, her month of birth was February. Her passport had to be changed as the DOB there was July. TIT smile.gif" border="0

quote:

Originally posted by HSTEACH:

Make sure her day of birth match on both the passport and the birth certificate. This can be a major problem.

Yes, I remember that story from last year, and made sure to check it.

Archived