Thai Nationals - Dual Citizenship

The US used to forbid dual citizenship, but after a Supreme Court decision some years back has eased up. Formerly, you lost your US citizenship if you became a citizen of another country. Now you are required to renounce US citizenship, if you no longer want it. Otherwise, you have them both.

The Thais don't really recognise dual citizenship, but as a colleague's daughter was told, "Just don't tell them about your US citizenship." Lots of folks are doing that now. You travel on the US passport, but enter Thailand on the Thai one.

p.s. It is easier to get US citizenship than Thai! Even permanent resident's visas are hard enough to come by here. I only know a couple of foreigners who have that.

[ December 15, 2001: Message edited by: Flashermac ]

Flashermac, actually you lose your US citizenship upon swearing an "oath of allegiance" to a foreign power. The court case decided that meant serving in the armed forces or government of another country among other things, but not neccesarily something as simple as becoming a citizen there.

I guess those dumb sons-of-bitches who left the US to join up with the Taliban kinda forgot about this one. They're up shit's creek and I've no sympathy for them at all.

My best friend has been a British citizen now for some while - he's thai by birth. Britain is not bothered by multi national citizenship so he did not have to give up thai citizenship to get his UK passport etc - as far as the UK was concerned. However, strictly speaking i understood the thai govt does not allow it - so he should have given up thai citizenship.... no, he didn't and hasn't laugh.gif" border="0

coops

I know Thais have a really hard time getting visas to come to the UK (and the west) especially Thai girls, but I know a lot of Thais who now have UK passports. As we now seem to be a multi-cultural society I know none of the asian countries ( I am thinking of Japan and Thailand as 2 quite different places but have the same policy) offer the ame rights we offer.

Like: A permanent stay

The right to vote etc etc

I am in the UK right now and I have spent 2 years learning thai here, having Thai girlfriend in the UK etc etc. Just it feels strange contemplating moving over there with my girl to somewhere you are always considered an outsider, whereas I know if she stayed here she would heve full rights to the hilt!!

quote:

Originally posted by Flashermac:

Lots of folks are doing that now. You travel on the US passport, but enter Thailand on the Thai one.

that's me for the past 15 years! i was born in the states, but grew up in bangkok. i just sort of fail to mention that i have dual citizenship when i renew each passport. laugh.gif" border="0

Some friends of mine have both US and Australian citizenship. Australia doesn't mind, whether they have mentioned their new passports to US govt I don't know. Another friend's daughter has 3 passports, US dad, UK mum, but born in Aus. She's a stunning Baywatch lookalike too, studying for a master's degree atm .... don't know why she bothers. She's got a billion $ between her thighs!

Archived