Expired non-imm B: ok for work permit?

My multiple entry non-imm B expired on December 7 but I entered on December 3 and they gave me 90 days. In other words I'm here on a valid non-imm B but the visa itself is expired.

Will this be OK for work permit purposes (should be ready this month) or will I have to try to get another non-imm B? I don't relish the trip to (Malaysia, Singapore, or even LA for the matter) and trying to explain why after 2 non-imm B visas I need another "really, I'm gonna get the work permit this time."

As with all dealings with Thai Immigration, this is only my understanding of the regulations.

The Non-Immigrant Visa valid until date is the last date that the Visa can be used, meaning upon arrival into Thailand.

The important thing is the "Length of Stay Until <date> on the visa extension and Re-Entry permit.

If your company is in the process of getting the work permit, you should be getting stamps that say "Application fro extension of stay is under consideration of the Police Dept. Applicant must contact the temporary permit section in person on ..... and this will give the date that your visa has been extended to.

TeddBKK--

Just out of pure interest, I called the Thai Consulate and spoke with my friend there.. She tells me that while you are in Thailand legally your Non-Imm "B" is expired. Therefore if you need to renew your WP (or get a DL or similar) you will need either an extension (done in BKK) or a completely new Non-Imm "B" (done outside of Thailand)...

I asked what she would recommend doing... She tells me that to avoid any possible "pom-pam" with the local Labor Office, it's better to get a new 'clean' Non-Imm B and use that versus an extended one... Both are fine, but she thinks that you may have less hassels with a newly issued one...

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

This may be true, but if you ever consider staying for a longer time in Thailand and ask for a residence permit, then you are required to have three consecutive one-year visa extensions, supplied in Bangkok.

I go every year to the 'one stop service centre for visa and work permit' on ratchadaphisek to get a new one years extension for my visa and work permit. They will only give you a work permit or an extension for it once the visa has been issued. So the end date of the work permit is (for me) always the same as the end date of the visa.

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: think1stbkk ]

My employer and the outside lawyers they engage to help with work permits are telling me that I should be OK.

I'll post an update when there is one.

[ January 04, 2002: Message edited by: TEDBKK ]

Hi,

my Non-imm-B Visa had expired for 40 days already, before my company began processing my work permit. I never actually did the application myself, I handed to some guys who specialize in these issues, they just asked me for an additional 500 Baht to give to somebody at the labor department.

Tis is thailand, money talks

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

Archived