Problem deleting/renaming AVI files

carlton68

Hi,

since a few weeks I had occasional problems renaming or deleting AVI-files. Still could copy them but then could not rename or delete the copy either. Went worse the last few days. I always got the annoying message 'Cannot delete filename . It's being used by another person or program...'

In the end I found a site that could help me with my problem. Seems to be a fault in Win XP Explorer. Anyway here's the link to Lee Tutor.

So if anyone of you guys experiences the same problem, it can be solved.

Thanks for that link ... some very useful arcane tips there. :applause:

Just goes to prove that there are people like this and theeldergeek, who have WAY too much knowledge of Win XP :rolleyes:

Now if some one could just figure out the codex things for me :banghead:

To reboot so I can use Knoppix to rename the files would be a bit much.

Wasn't so much a prescription as an alternative. For many users I would say editing the registration table is a bit too much.

These boot options should get knoppix up and running on 90% of machines that are having trouble:

knoppix no{apic,agp,apm,audio,ddc} Skip parts of HW-detection (1)

knoppix no{dhcp,fstab,firewire} Skip parts of HW-detection (2)

knoppix no{pcmcia,scsi,swap,usb} Skip parts of HW-detection (3)

knoppix pnpbios=off No PnP Bios initialization

knoppix acpi=off Disable ACPI Bios completely

failsafe Boot with (almost) no HW-detection

knoppix pci=irqmask=0x0e98 Try this, if PS/2 mouse doesn't work *)

knoppix pci=bios Workaround for bad PCI controllers

The rest can be found here

carlton68 said:

I am downloading quite some avi-files over the time. To reboot so I can use Knoppix to rename the files would be a bit much. Besides, Knoppix hangs on my system.

LaoHuLi, what about those codex problems? Did I miss something?

well, I find that there are multiple problems with .avi files.

1. they often are not avi files and have just been given that extention by whoever saved them

2. Window Media player no longer suport the codec needed to play them (gee only $19.95 on the web now.)

There are dozens of varieties of version of avi files and different codex solutions fro each. And as explained by the link you posted, windows explore tries to read the whole file at once and hangs if it doesn't find the right codec or the file is a variation.

Basically they are a pain in the butt, and the more I read about them, the more I find no clear solution. :banghead: Hoped you had one.

So far my solution is

a) uninstall ALL the codecs on your machine as they love to conflict

B) use videotoolbox web page to figure out what the file really is nd which codec you need.

c)use Media Player Classic (Freeware) to play the files and it along with lots of other goodies is here

There are lots of codec pkgs out there and I have afew others that I am experimenting with, but so far this is one of the better ones. At the free price. :neener:

Archived