sabaidee/sawadee not same?

pattaya127

Hi Snake head,

>>>Lao Pop Gun Mai would rather be Rao<<<

Makes sense, with 'rao' = 'we'. :up: .....(we meet new/later)

>>>Juh Gan Mai<<< 'Juh' = meet. Correct?

>>>Sawasdee in the meaning goodbye is much used on the phone before hanging up. Much more so than face to face in an informal situation.<<<

Yes. I've heard my g/f say 'wat dee ka' many times ending a phone conversation, but never once in person.

>>>Phom ja ma mai<<< :D Took me the longest time to understand this phrase. Lit. = 'I will come new'. But was explained to me that 'mai' in this case, does not really mean 'new'. When used in conjunction with 'ma', 'mai' takes on the meaning of 'back/return/later. :dunno:

Thanks for your help!

HT

La tree sawat = good night

HIGH THAIED: I think you've been around Issan people too long. That is the slurred 'r' version if what I posted as ratree sawat, as spoken in Issan. I'm kinda fortunate that my wife's home language is Khmen which has a very strong 'r' not unlike the 'rr' in Spanish. Keeps me from making these mistakes.

I must admit that even Bangkokians have this problem. I've read that it stems from an inability for some Asian people to distinguish the 'r' sound from an 'l' sound. But I think upper class Thais would frown upon that pronounciation.

LC niang sarrrrrrrul chia no oi?

the old L and R discussion!!! this issue is found all over asia except khamen and indonesia/malaysia/philippines. the Koreans have even the same character for R and L. so a mister Lee is as well a mister Ree.

and yes; HT is farang lao :neener:

Hi,

Actually, I got 'la tree sawat' from a CD with book, called "In Flight Thai". A terrible first reference for me, but have never seen it said anywhere after that.

All my pathetic knowledge comes from books and computer. I'm very disadvantaged in this respect, but try to do the best I can. I'm in Hawaii, with no khon Thai to speak with, other than g/f online. It's a real challenge. :: Luckily, my g/f speaks central Thai, so pronounses 'R''s , as they should be, and does not displace them with 'l''s.

Thanks though, for the 'heads up' with that. :: Much appriciated.

HT

Hi stumpdog,

>>>What is chockdee? I though it was good luck?<<<

Chok dee = good luck (lit. luck good)

chok mai dee = luck not good

chok rai = bad luck (lit. luck bad).

Also used as a toast, as in 'cheers'!

HT

Archived