Pacsafe for freelancers

I just bought a Pacsafe Travel Safe 100 for $45 and plan to use it when doing overnighters with freelancers. I have to admit this is my first time to Thailand but I don't see much of what could go wrong with the "travel safe". I'll only use it when falling asleep or washing up while I have girl present. I'll attach it to the bed frame or something else that cant be taken apart. The inside of the bag has a steel mesh and the outside is a hard durable nylon. I think a girl could get into it if she had wire cutters or something equivalent but if they spend too much effort on it they'll wake me up or get my attention. Anyone see any problems with the "Travel Safe"?

web page

The only problem is if these were to get popular then dishonest freelancers or whoever would start carring wireclippers in their purses. I have looked for small lockboxes that I could secure with one of those bicycle chains.... but I have had no luck.

I think what is even better is trying to select girls who don't steal or incline to steal from you. I don't think there is any standard protocol or magical formula (though I don't take girls who drink heavily or smoke) other than one's own good judgment, creating a friendly environment for her, choosing a girl who is likes you or pretends to be interested in you, and an experienced sixth sense.

I have been at this for ten years and so far have been very lucky. I have never had a girl steal anything from me. Knock on wood.

I leave my wallet (no more than 1,000B, no cards), and coin purse, out on a table/desk top in the open as a "test" when I shower. One precaution I take is I always have the girl shower first so she is not dressed for a quick get-a-way (though have noticed some BGs are able to dress within a minute or two prior to departure). I also leave the bathroom door open a tad when showering. I don't take long shower or diddle daddle in bathroom. And I guess the biggest temptation for the girl to rip you off other than being an asshole to her is if you get yourself in a drunkard state where your judgment is impaired and reaction/response would be slow or non-existent to a required situation. If you get yourself plastered, then all bets are off and then you do need a fort knox approach...........................

The safe is a great idea. We should start seeing the Thai copy version on Sukhumvit Road anytime now.

I always travel with light weight 3 ft. airline cable with a loop at each end and a small self setting combo lock (I set it to 1234 or something like that). Very convenient if your at a bus/train station and want to take a short walk while you're waiting but don't want to drag your luggage around with you. (It's a Lonely Planet recommendation.)

Here's a small business idea, the "Sukhumvit Road Travellers Shop." Besides carrying lightweight security equipment and the usual travel irons, etc. you could stock an entire section with the special needs of "nightlife" travelers, i.e. cheap toothbrushes by the 12 pack. Same with shower caps. Eye masks and ear plugs for daytime sleeping and of course a great selection of condoms. I'm sure there are lots of other nightlife specific travel items that are not easy to find/unavailable in LOS. The travel safe is definitely one of them.

He...I have to say this "secure whatever" sounds so bloody stupid. Do you think you will carry around this thing every night on Sukhumvit? :-)

First of all: Thailand is very safe. Sure, you will still find rotten apples here & there...but if it is like you say, your first trip here; then you won't believe your eyes when you arrive. This is not the Western kind of prostitution/etc.

Here's my take on it. Play reasonably smart. Talk to the ladies for a while, check them out & be warry of signs of drug (ab)use. And never carry too much money on you. If you just do that and behave like a decent guy while here, you don't have anything to worry about.

I have been drunk shitless in Patpong and dropped my wallet & cell phone on a couple of occasions and Thai doorguys have been running after me to give back my stuff. It has happened several times....Now, I regard Sukhumvit a much more decent place than Patpong...and that goes for the freelancers as well...

It's good to be careful -- but it just seems to be such a nuisance to carry around some kind of safe box. I think after a couple of day, you just won't. If the ladies and bars want to rip you off, they have much more sophisticated ways than grabbing your wallet. Believe me, 1 million percent, sure ;-)

[ August 14, 2001: Message edited by: Khun Straycat ]

I agree with the above posters that you have minimal risk from a BG stealing your money. I have slept with a lot of BGs, fallen asleep during sex or waiting for them to shower (Am I an exciting guy, or what?)and generally not taken good care of my money. I have never had a girls steal my money while in my apartment.

However, when I travel I am usually too lazy to use the lobby safe and worry about my passport and extra money left in my room.

I like the idea of this travel safe. Where can you buy it in the states or on the internet. Or, as somebody above said, I can wait until they copy it and sell it on Sukhumvit in about three weeks?

quote:

Originally posted by boogaloo:

I just bought a Pacsafe Travel Safe 100 for $45 and plan to use it when doing overnighters with freelancers. I have to admit this is my first time to Thailand but I don't see much of what could go wrong with the "travel safe". I'll only use it when falling asleep or washing up while I have girl present. I'll attach it to the bed frame or something else that cant be taken apart. The inside of the bag has a steel mesh and the outside is a hard durable nylon. I think a girl could get into it if she had wire cutters or something equivalent but if they spend too much effort on it they'll wake me up or get my attention. Anyone see any problems with the "Travel Safe"?

Archived