Unlocking A Cell Phone

Hugh_Hoy

adikgede said:

US Carriers usually wait for you to pay for the phone before they will help you unlock it. This might be as long as a year.

That is just a policy for those who don't know any better. You can get your unlock code within a week if you are insistent. If the first rep won't do it then you ask to speak to a supervisor and if they won't do it then you ask to speak to customer retention. I have had contracts with both ATT and Tmobile. You tell them that you are going on a business trip overseas and u need the phone unlocked because you need a sim with a local number. They may bullshit you about a 90 day waiting period or such but if you stay insistent they will cave in, tell you some nonsense about valuing as a customer and will make an exception to your request. They do it trust me.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you are buying an ATT branded phone make sure you get a tri-band instead of a dual band since ATT operates on the 850mhz band in the States. With a triband yu will at least be able to use either DTAC or AIS in Thailand, With the dual band phone I believe you will only be able to use AIS. The motorola v600 is actually a quad band if your interested in complete GSM coverage. I know they sold their wireless operations to Cingular but I do not know yet how that effects GSM coverage.

1. Removing a sim lock on a phone requires more than a code on many phones, excepting nokia. Unlocking the phone on many phones requires the PRAM to be flashed. Not something a sales rep can do for you.

2. If you have a nokia and want to haggle with the customer support people to get information that you want and they don't want to give you have fun. You can get the codes for many nokia phones on the spot for $4.95 from http://www.unlock123.com figure if it takes you 10-15 minutes to get that info on the phone you are probably already saving yourself money on the time you would waste on 'your milage may vary' advice.

I don't know about LG phones but I have successfully unlocked Siemens, Samsung, Nokia and Sony Ericsson phones by requesting the codes from the carriers. Be insistent with your request and they won't deny you, plus it does not cost a dime.

If the phone needs to be flashed then you can do it yourself with software and a data cable. It is good to have a data cable for your phone so that you can upgrade it with any firmware updates in the future.

I don't know about LG phones but I have successfully unlocked Siemens, Samsung, Nokia and Sony Ericsson phones by requesting the codes from the carriers.

Which Sony Ericsson was that? I have been under the impression entering codes on the keypad is not a feature of SE phones.

LaoHuLi said:

I have personally unlocked SE T-200 and T-300 phones.... no problems.

Without DSC-11 service cable?

Maybe Im wrong but my understanding is that you need a data cable and some software to unlock SE phones its not just a matter of entering a code into the phone via the keypad.

adikgede said:

I don't know about LG phones but I have successfully unlocked Siemens, Samsung, Nokia and Sony Ericsson phones by requesting the codes from the carriers.

Which Sony Ericsson was that? I have been under the impression entering codes on the keypad is not a feature of SE phones.

SE T68i and SE T610 were unlocked by me using the keypad, no need for a data cable. They were also the biggest pieces of shit phones I have ever used. The RF is horrible, had to give them away.

If you are buying an ATT branded phone make sure you get a tri-band instead of a dual band since ATT operates on the 850mhz band in the States.

AT&T uses 1900 in the US (with a *small* number of 850 sites coming on line recently). A tri-band GSM phone means 900/1800/1900. To get 850 you will need a quad-band (850 is irrelevent in Thailand).

A dual-band phone in the US will typically mean 900/1900, so you would be able to use it in Thailand only with AIS (which is on 900) and not with DTAC, et al.

Unless something has changed very recently, AT&T is widely known as the one of the 3 big US GSM providers that flat-out refuses to provide unlock codes. No amount of talking to a supervisor is likely to help.

On the other hand, T-Mobile is known as the one that will provide the codes after you've paid your bill for a few months and you tell them that you are going abroad.

No idea about Cingular.

Archived