Unlocking A Cell Phone

Hugh_Hoy

I want to get a new cell phone here in the U.S. (GSM). I want to get one that I can use in Thailand by merely inserting my Thai One2Call sim card into it. Retailer says that I'd have to "unlock" my cell phone in order to do that. Said I would have to contact manufacturer of phone. Manufacturer say "no". That manufacturer only installs minimal software into the phone and that only the carrier from which I purchase the phone can "unlock" the phone. I don't have a clue. What does "unlock" really mean, and any ideas how it can be done? Thanks in advance.

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Unlocking is only needed if your carrier has made sure to tie that specific phone to their service. It's common with phone-locking when the carrier subsidize the phone by giving a price break. You'll know if you need unlocking if you can't switch to any other US operator. If you can freely use any SIM card in the US -- then you can do the same in Thailand.

Unlocking is no big DEAL...

http://www.howardforums.com/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=33 is allo abourt cell phones.

Do a net search and oyu can get it all. Your provider should unlock for free. If not for the MBK up in mobile heaven and get it done. Rememer that AIS Thai uses 900 and 1800 I-Moblile uses 1900 and some new guys have 850 . Go with AIS.

You can get a card at MBK

Better idea is to wait until you get to Thailand ! Huge selection of really cool unlocked GSM phones that will work with your USA sim card when you get home and of course with the Thai mobile company of your choice.......my choice is DTAC. You can even get used one's at MBK for $30 or so.

US Carriers usually wait for you to pay for the phone before they will help you unlock it. This might be as long as a year. This is because the discounted phone price is subsidised by your monthly bill. If they unlock it you might walk out on a contract before the phone is paid for. You can buy unlocked phones from www.just-talk.com . Third parties can usually unlock phones without much trouble. But don't expect them to be able to do the newest phones as they come on the market. People warn about damaging a phone by unlocking it. They are just flashing a PRAM chip even if they botch it you should be able to flash it again. If you are overseas the factory service center might be willing to unlock the phone. I have done that twice in Indonesia when I gave away an ericsson phone. Prices in Singapore and HK are pretty good for unlocked phones.

I've been using ATT Wireless for the last 50 weeks. Satisfied, but was told when I signed up that GSM wasn't available at the time in my location with ATT. Now that it is, plan to buy a new phone. ATT retail store said they only sell locked phones. "Customer Care" call-in said that manufacturer can unlock. Called LG and said carrier must unlock. Using info here, I've queried some sites and found companies which will send me software/codes to download and "unlock" a phone. Of course, such downloads seem to be restricted to a few models. Also, have read about hassels doing same. Using OH's suggestion, I've scanned my yellow pages and found some local phone retailers/telecommunications businesses that might be able to help me. Just haven't had time in the last few days to "let my fingers do the walking". I'll probably have to go higher up in ATT to get the answer, if a local company can't unlock the phone...or chance a download of a code. Don't relish the idea of plunking down a few hundred dollars in the LOS for a phone I'll be using in California for 10 months out of the year. If it takes a shit on me, I'm outta luck warrantee-wise, I'm sure. (At least, i can envision more probs than if I bought it locally.) Thanks for your opinion/suggestion.

Archived