Renewal of Thai Driver's License?

All-

Anyone know how far in adavance you can renew your Thai DL? MY DL expires in October 2002. The issue that I'm thinking about is that you need to have a valid Non-Imm visa when you renew and my Non-Imm will be expiring in that same month. If I can renew early then that's fine, if not then I'm going to go and get my new Non-Imm BEFORE going to the DMV in Bangkok...

Anyone know the limitations on early renewals. I called the ThaI Embassy (DC) and the Consualte in LA and both offices had no idea. I have also called the Office of Land Transport but that produced no useful help.

Anyone?

--UPSer

laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0laugh.gif" border="0

I renewed my Thai drivers license at the office near Sukhumvit Soi 101 last may, two months after my non-immigrant "O" visa expired. This was about 5 days before it expired. They did not even ask to see my passport. All they wanted was:

1. Old Thai license.

2. Statement from my embassy stating that my Thai address was in fact where I was still living (as if the embassy cared!).

3. Fresh photos.

2. 100+ baht.

They did not require a fresh medical exam certificate.

I noted that on my new license, they list the date when I got my first Thai driver's license.

I did take a Thai friend along to assist with communication. I speak and read Thai modestly, but knew from my initial experience getting my original license that it is easy to get misrouted in that place, and waste a lot of time waiting in the wrong queue.

So - do not even worry about having a non-immigrant visa. Just renew before your old license expires, and bring it with you.

"Let the good times roll!"

Bangkok Butterfly

[ January 20, 2002: Message edited by: peesooahbkk ]

• 3 weeks later...

I renewed both my automobile and my motorbike licenses today at the motor vehicle registry in Chiang Mai. Both licenses were set to expire on the 25th of February. I inquired about some of the points raised in this thread and discovered:

1 - You may renew your license(s) up to thirty days in advance.

2 - They did want to see my passport with the requisite non-imigrant visa. I did not ask whether one could skate on producing the passport/visa.

3 - They did not need a current certificate of residence from immigrations or my embassy. This was my third annual renewal. The only time I ever needed a certificate of residence was when I initially applied for both licenses in 1999.

4 - Foreigners are still only elegible for one-year licenses as opposed to the lifetime licenses that Thais may obtain.

5 - The turnaround time was one hour to issue the renewed licenses. This seems to improve every year.

Note that this was the story in Chiang Mai and not any different from what I have experienced here in previous years. It *should* be the same set of rules throughout the country but as always, this is Thailand...

• 2 weeks later...

quote:

Originally posted by V. Calvino:

peesooahbkk , How long is your new license good for? I heard after your first one-year license you were eligble for a two or three year one. I don't want another one-year license because they won't give you and international drivers license with it.

Hi Calvino,

They are only issuing one year Thai driving license's now, its a new law just recently passed.

You can apply 30 days before the old DL expiration date. If you go to a different DL office than the one you first obtained your liscense it will take about 30 days to transfer your records.

If you have your immigration paperwork in order you should get the permission paper for free, if not they usually take care of it for you and ask for 500 baht.

Hey Racha, Do you know if that is for foreigners only? When I was in Thailand last summer I was given a temporary one-year license but they would not give me a IDP. They said next time I renewed my license I would get a three-year license and give me a IDP. Do you know if they will give me an International Drivers Permit with a one-year non-temporary license? Thanks for the help.

peesooahbkk , How long is your new license good for? I heard after your first one-year license you were eligble for a two or three year one. I don't want another one-year license because they won't give you and international drivers license with it.

Ok but is it a temporary license or just a regular license with a one-year validity? I really want to get my Internation Drivers license this year when I go back so I can drive in Japan. Do you know if you qualify for one with your current license?

Thanks

Archived