"Thaksin": The Book

Fidel

Since I'm so fond of knocking Thaksin I thought I'd find some more ammuntition.

I bought the book "Thaksin". And I have to say.. it is a great read.

Very informative and quite balanced. As the author says... hardcore supporters of Thaksin won't like it... but Hardcore detractors might not like it either.

The book provides a great deal of historical info on the development of Thai politics and economics and explains the motives behind TRT's policies.

I have honestly had to alter my opinions on the man having read it.... not quite finished yet but certainly a recommended read.

Hi Fidel,

can you give me the whole title, the year of publishing and the name of the author so that i can find it. do you think it is available outside thailand?

I have seen many books on thaksin in the thai bookshops lately, unfortunately they are all in thai and my linguistic skills are not, so it would be great with an english book on the man.

thanks

Pharcyde.

PS I have read that Pasuk Pongpaichit and another co-author are going to publish a critical book on the leadership of thaksin very soon. might be worth a read for your ammonition, too.

PS I have read that Pasuk Pongpaichit and another co-author are going to publish a critical book on the leadership of thaksin very soon. might be worth a read for your ammonition, too.
I believe Fidel is talking about exactly this book. The name of the book is: "Thaksin The Business of Politics in Thailand", and the authors are K. Pasuk Prongpaichit and Chris Baker. ISBN 974-9575-55-5.

It is a good book, and I don't subscribe to all of Khun Pasuk's views. For example, her views on the 97' crisis, and what caused it, differ from my own. The book is very detailed. Interestingly, they use quotes from Thaksin's own autobiography and interviews with Thaksin to support much of their material. For example, their estimate on the percentage kickback generally necessary to procure a government contract is based on an interview they had with Thaksin before he was a big man in politics.

It seems to be fairly balanced (I have not read all of it yet.) And much of it supports much of what we have been saying here on this board.

There was a talk on the book last week at the FCCT.

Archived