Customs officials examining your vacation photos

walletss

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"If someone from Customs / ASIO or whichever branch of Big Brother gets this far into the thread, I wish a thousand plagues on each and every one of you."

Art,

I know personally several higher level Custom agents and they are some of the biggest sanookers I've seen. Many keep photos of their TG in questionable attire in their offices or as screen savers!

...I've switched to the DVD cams and keep the CD's with my music stuff or as P127 I use memory cards...keep them in your wallet!

In the past in Hawaii coming back from LOS all my bags were emptied and searched for God knows what. After 30 minutes of searching they found 10 CD's that they claimed were pirated "I went off" They said due to me claiming 0.00 on my forms they flag youth with larger bags and search. Next time they told me claim a couple hundred and you'll be fine... I've not once been searched since!

SkiBum

I don't modify my behaviour because 9/11 or anything else, customs or cops. Some behave as assholes others as human beings, nothing really changes.

I dislike those people in my usual standard way.

I do carry "forbidden stuff" so wat??? (no drugs)

By the end of the day they will have forgotten your "nasty" pictures.....

I told them that CD's with "Full Moon Party" written across could not be pirated as this event happens in Thailand not the US. Before they claim I've broken some law they need to get their facts straight and get a clue...

It was only 10 CD's...they asked why I didn't claim these and I answered I did on the last trip. Then they wanted to know why I had so many bags and stuff and why I had been in LOS so long. Have you heard the word "Vacation" I said...Then the, "What do you do for work in the US?" And, I get to piss them off by saying...absolutely nothing unless I feel the urge too. I had a flight to catch back to the mainland so I was itching to get moving and out of this silly interrogation about bullshit! Either they were tring to hit me up with taxes or I was flagged for something! Either way, I couldn't be touched cause nothing was out of line...

SkiBum

By the end of the day they will have forgotten your "nasty" pictures.....

That's where I disagree. I'm sure that Customs are given targets, and the odd bust must really make their day. As one poster has already mentioned, some Asian women simply dont look 'over 18' to Western eyes, even well into their 20's. The less time I have to spend explaining myself to these clowns, the happier I am.

I can appreciate where you are comming from but there are a couple of things you may want to keep in mind vis a vis customs, especially if you want to minimize the hassles you have in the future when entering the US.

When the customs guys nonchalantly ask you questions such as "What is your occupation?" they don't really give a shit what you do. They are simply engaging you in an attempt to assess your level of nervousness. In a series of questions, they may even ask you the same question again, in an obvious attempt to see if your answers remain consistent.

More importantly, as with all police, if you piss them off they can make your life pretty miserable. In the case of US customs officials, it is a simple matter for a pissed off customs officer to flag your name in their database, so that in the future everytime your passport is scanned on entry you are automatically subjected to a higher level of scrutiny. Not something I would want to have to endure.

My approach is to be polite and just go along with their program.

Archived