Customs officials examining your vacation photos

walletss

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Wallets,

Welcome to the post-9/11 world of the pseudo-cop ! Its definitely worse for lone male travellers returning from Thailand, and I firmly maintain that going straight to the 'something to declare' line is a good idea - show them that you have nothing to hide. The cursory search of my bags for contraband was far quicker than the drug search I endured upon return from the LOS.

I had a similar experience to yours in Brissie, where the Gestapo, er, Customs officer felt the need to read my very personal diary entries, seemingly more for his own titillation than anything else. Glad I didnt have any incriminating photos, but having your luggage scattered all over the table in front of the world while Herr Oberstfuhrer asks you about diary entries is right up there with being publicly sodomised, IMO .....

If someone from Customs / ASIO or whichever branch of Big Brother gets this far into the thread, I wish a thousand plagues on each and every one of you. In the name of saving us all from terrorism, drugs and paedophiles, you reduce law-abiding people to the status of crime suspects. You may have a job to do, but its clear that the job has taken on a new dimension since 9/11. We now have to carefully consider every photo we take, and everything we write down whilst on holiday, for fear that it will be used against us : surely this is the kind of result that would have the terrorists slapping one another on the back with glee ?

Customs and immigration have become a bigger pain in the ass. Also, even when you go to the airport to depart,here at LAX, things are so tight nowadays, you never know really how much time it will take to process through security.

Currently, I leave plenty of time to spare at the airport, so I don't end up running through the terminals like a madman :: to catch my flight.

Guest lazyphil

The mrs and me came through checks at Chicago/OHare in June and I was impressed with the thorougness of the security checks, much better than Heathrow who hardly did a thing :(

artiew said:

Glad I didnt have any incriminating photos, but having your luggage scattered all over the table in front of the world while Herr Oberstfuhrer asks you about diary entries is right up there with being publicly sodomised, IMO .....

I saw Japanese customs searching bags. There is a non-transparent upright partition maybe 80x80cm that they put between your open bag and other eyes in the queue. Only you and the officer can see what's happening.

you don't think i'm awake long enough for them to bring the food round do you?

on the 13 Hour flight back to the UK after all the Beer and combination of pills that i take i can normally sleep for 10 Hours and miss all the fun.

never had any bother returning from LOS.

Heathrow has always been deserted of Customs and i stroll through.

tell a lie,my last flight was on Malaysia and probably only 6 non-Muslims on the Plane.

as i strolled through i noticed with delight the Woman from hell had been stopped and all her cases were open..... :grinyes:

Hi TTM,

This sounds like something that the Japanese would do, and it makes perfect sense. As a people, the Japanese also seem to have some concept of 'privacy in a crowd' and respect for the individual, and thats a concept that is sadly lacking from our yokel culture here in Oz - taking public delight in the misfortunes of others has become the number one spectator sport in this country. I am greatly saddened by what my country has become.

" I think the best way would be to email your pic to an email account. "

Call me hard headed but I don't think I have to do that. My view is that if my candid pictures are not illegal then why should I have to be so secretive.

Customs can go and whistle Dixie. They either have to put up a case or shut up. If it is convenient for me I will continue to get my photos printed in Bangkok. If in the future the situation with Customs deteriorates I will review the situation.

Do you think they are equally concerned with homeland security issues and perhaps that is why they are examining snapshots? Maybe they have been instructed to look for photos of sensitive security infrastructures?

On digital memory cards - create another sub-directory on your card and move the sensitive files to that directory. If viewing the pics using your camera, the 'other' sub-directory is invisible.

Archived