Laptop, digital camera ----> DUTY?

mongatu

There was another thread on this subject about a year or so ago, and I looked at it, but I am curious about more recent experience and was wondering if anyone has had any problems lately with carrying in to Thailand more than the allowed 10,000 baht worth of stuff. My laptop and digital camera together are probably worth about 30 or 40 K baht or perhaps even more. Anyone had a problem or had to pay any duty for bringing in such items for personal use? Anyone bother to declare them?

Crossed the border into LOS, from o'seas as well as from laos and cambodja at least 30 times the past 4 years, often carrying over US $ 5000 worth of personal tech equipment, never declared any, never got hassled.

just make sure it is obvious that it is for personal use, e.g. not wrapped in original packaging, and preferable demonstrably used (e.g. ahve user files on laptop, pictures on your cameras.

ikkrang wrote...'Crossed the border into LOS, from o'seas as well as from laos and cambodja at least 30 times the past 4 years, often carrying over US $ 5000 worth of personal tech equipment, never declared any, never got hassled'

Yep...me too (laptop & camera), many times returning from Cambo or landing at Don Muang airport. I've never been asked...nor have I ever felt I need to declare my personal possessions. I have had my bags opened at BanHatLek, by Thai immigration, before entering Cambo...they may have been conducting a perfunctory drug check...but never questioned about a laptop or camera.

Thanks guys. I haven't had any hassles yet either but good to hear that others have had similar experience.

The thing is, the way I read the rules, they could charge duty for bringing your personal laptop, even if it was obvious it was used and for personal use as long as it was worth more than 10k baht. That's why I was asking about it.

But maybe despite the rules, they just don't care unless it looks like it is for resale, (like if you brought in 50 cell phones).

Archived