Retirement "O" visa early renewall

rickfarang

I will leave Thailand about 45 days before my 1 year retirement visa expires, and will return abou 15 days after it expires. Therefore, I hope to obtaiin a new extension and re-entry permit before leaving.

Has anyone obtained a 1 year extension this long before the expiry of the exiting extension?

I've never requested a second extension. Can this all be done in one day like the last one, provided I have the letter from the bank certifying funds on hand, photograhps, etc.?

Thank you in advance.

RickF

My 1 year retirement Visa was due to expire later this month. I went to Cambodia in last month and the stamp at the airport indicated my arrival to Thailand date (July 19 2004) and the admitted until date (July 18 2005).

I went to immigration this week to ask what I would have to do to "renew" my 1 year Visa. I was told all I had to do was get a reentry permit and I would be good until July 18, 2005. So, in 1 hour, with a photo, I got a multiple reentry permit (3800 baht) (no bank statement or anything else needed) and that was it.

I was very surprised but am definitely not complaining.

Well, I just re-read your post. Did you leave and return to Thailand earlier this year?

I imagine if you did you can "extend" the way I did until the date posted for "Admitted until". Otherwise, I am not sure what you will have to do since your situation would be different from mine.

First I'd ask immigration if you can re-new early. I would imagine that it is not a problem. If so, just bring the necessary documents and simply re-new your 'O' visa for another year. It proved a simple process when I re-newed my 'O' visa, though I did it only 10-days before expiration. The only minor thing is that that you'll lose 45 days on you present visa...but have a new one that's good for another year. No big deal...

Oh...and be sure and get an exit permit (1900-Bt?)before

leaving the country...otherwise your 'O' visa will become invalid...and you'll have to jump through all the hoops to get a new one!!

Tigermoth, I think you lucked out - I've been in and out of the country several times on a multiple reentry permit since receiving the 1 year retirement extension, but the "Admitted Until" date has always been the original extension expires or the date the reentry permit expires (one day later).

Lukdod, I would think that they wouldn't mind letting me renew early, but one never knows until one asks. And even then I'm not sure until I see the stamps. I just trying to get a grasp of the possible trip-ups before I take that long taxi ride (quite possibly the first of a long series of taxi rides) down to Soi Saun Plu.

Has anybody on this board renewed more than a month early?

[color:"red"] My 1 year retirement Visa was due to expire later this month. I went to Cambodia in last month and the stamp at the airport indicated my arrival to Thailand date (July 19 2004) and the admitted until date (July 18 2005).

[/color]

There is a mistake there and it is for your benefit. Was the immigration officer a lady??? :D

Jasmine

Actually the same thing happened at the airport when I came back from a trip to the US in January. My Visa is for one year and again the admitted to date was specified as one year from the current date.

However, the person who helped me at the Immigration office, looking at all the information and telling me what to do, was a very helpful and beautiful lady.

jasmine said:

[color:"red"] My 1 year retirement Visa was due to expire later this month. I went to Cambodia in last month and the stamp at the airport indicated my arrival to Thailand date (July 19 2004) and the admitted until date (July 18 2005).

[/color]

There is a mistake there and it is for your benefit. Was the immigration officer a lady??? :D

Jasmine

I had the same experience as Tiger Moth. Returned from Cambodia in Feb. and on arrival at Don Muang I was given a new "admitted until" date of Feb. 2005. My original "admitted until" date was Oct. 2004. It appears that the difference is that both Tiger Moth and myself have O-A visas (this is a one year visa that is obtained outside Thailand based on meeting specific requirements for retirement) whereas folks with O visas that have received one year extensions (in Thailand) based on meeting retirement qualifications do not receive any further extensions during their one year extension period even though they leave and return to Thailand during that period.

And I did check with Pattaya Immigration to be sure the new date was correct and they confirmed that it was.

-redwood

[color:"red"] It appears that the difference is that both Tiger Moth and myself have O-A visas (this is a one year visa [/color]

Good to hear that this can be correct. Hubby and I will get the retirement visa with mutiple entries this time (hopefully Hubby can stand Thailand more than 1 month).

The DC Embassy told me that if one leaves during the year, he/she should get the original date back, not another year from his/her re-entry date, now I am confused!!!

Jasmine

It seems (taking some back-channel communications into account) that the difference between a category O extendedn and a category A-O is that the category O expires on the anniversary of its issuance, but a category A-O expires one year after the last entry into the country, and is automatically renewed for this period at the boarder.

If that is the case, does that mean that holders of category A-O visas don't have to pay an annual renewal fee?

Talk about confulsed...

Archived