Retirement "O" visa early renewall

rickfarang

redwood wrote...<snip>.."I had the same experience as Tiger Moth. Returned from Cambodia in Feb. and on arrival at Don Muang I was given a new "admitted until" date of Feb. 2005. My original "admitted until" date was Oct. 2004.

And I did check with Pattaya Immigration to be sure the new date was correct and they confirmed that it was."

Hmmm....Due to your post I just scrutinized my O-A Visa stamp. I returned from Cambo last Feb and now notice that the date stamped when I re-entered Thailand is April 2005.

My O-A visa was to be renewed this last April 2004...and like a good camper...I went to immigration, with the necessary documents...and they renewed my O-A for another year, adding the standard paper to the passport indicating when my next 90-check-in was to be.

When renewing the O-A, they didn't make mention of the April 2005 date given when I'd re-entered from Cambo.

Based on the info in prior posts, I guess I didn't have to renew the O-A...I only needed to appear for the 90-day check-ins with immigration...?

I have an O-A visa and had the same experience as you and Tiger Moth. My original O-A visa expired April 7 2005, but I left the country again in June 2004, and the new expiration date was one year after I reentered, June 15 2005.

I assumed I would have to reapply prior to April 7 2005, but now I am wondering. If you leave and reenter Thailand every few months (as I usually do), does that mean you never have to reapply for an O-A visa?

shotover said:

I have an O-A visa and had the same experience as you and Tiger Moth. My original O-A visa expired April 7 2005, but I left the country again in June 2004, and the new expiration date was one year after I reentered, June 15 2005.

I assumed I would have to reapply prior to April 7 2005, but now I am wondering. If you leave and reenter Thailand every few months (as I usually do), does that mean you never have to reapply for an O-A visa?

I _think_ the key factor here is MULTIPLE ENTRY VISA. I had one, and I think "shotover" has one and "Tiger Moth" says:

"My 1 year retirement Visa was due to expire later this month. I went to Cambodia in last month and the stamp at the airport indicated my arrival to Thailand date (July 19 2004) and the admitted until date (July 18 2005).

I went to immigration this week to ask what I would have to do to "renew" my 1 year Visa. I was told all I had to do was get a reentry permit and I would be good until July 18, 2005. So, in 1 hour, with a photo, I got a multiple reentry permit (3800 baht) (no bank statement or anything else needed) and that was it."

So i'm guessing that when the multiple entry visa expires the extension on re-entry expires.

-redwood

This is interesting.

I never considered an O-A one year retirement visa because I don't stay more than 6 months in LOS and I don't want to lock 800k in a LOS bank account. I am over 50 and have a non-immigrant one year multiple entries wich I renew in my home country based on my bank account balance and retirement income when I am there, mostly for one month a time.

Now you get me wondering, what do I need to ask/prove to get a multiple entries O-A in my home country besides I have the income (65.000 baht at least and/or 800k in a bank account - in this case NOT in a LOS bank account) and a medical certificate?

FWIW...I'm not so sure about the need of a multiple-entry visa, in order to get the extended 'admit until' date. In my prior post, I indicated I rec'd admit-until date that far exceeded the expiration date on my O-A visa...and I don't have a multiple-entry visa.

...'I _think_ the key factor here is MULTIPLE ENTRY VISA. I had one, and I think "shotover" has one and "Tiger Moth" says:

"My 1 year retirement Visa was due to expire later this month. I went to Cambodia in last month and the stamp at the airport indicated my arrival to Thailand date (July 19 2004) and the admitted until date (July 18 2005). "

• 2 months later...

For the record, they allowed me to renew 70 days early. I wound up with the same renewal anniversary (too bad, but it could have come out worse). The had to write up a form, signed by the manger in room 102, clearing the way for them to renew the visa early. The attached a letter making a formal request and copies of all the tickets.

The guy who advised me to bring my airplane tickets gets much the credit for the early renewal. I would have left one set of tickets in the U.S. if he had not mentioned it. When I showed the manager in room 102 my tickets, she smiled, as if these were the documents that would make it much easier for her help me.

All the staff at the immigration bureau in Bangkok was very friendly and as helpful as they could be. Although its confusing and hectic there, the people are very nice.

On thing that I was not aware that they were looking for and would have been one less thing to worry about is that one of the requirements for renewal is documentation showing frequent transfers of substantial amounts into my Thai bank account.

Quick rundown of the requirements for renewal of a non-immigrant retirement visa as of yesterday (October 29, 2004).

1. You have to be 50 years old or older.

2. You are not blacklisted.

3. Proof of 800k baht in bank/65,000 baht per month income (apparently one in enough)

4. Documents showing frequent and substantial money transfers from overseas.

Other documents:

A. T.M. 7 form

B. Passport

C. One passport photo

D. 1900 baht fee

E. Medical certificate

PlFor the record, they allowed me to renew 70 days early. I wound up with the same renewal anniversary (too bad, but it could have come out worse). It was a big project for them as it required some extra paperwork and a lot of running around on my part, but it was all done in one day, including a run to the hospital for a medical certificate.

The guy who told me to bring my airplane tickets gets all the credit. I would have left one set of tickets in the U.S. if he had not mentioned it. When I showed the manager in room 102 my tickets, she smiled, as if these were the documents that would make it much easier for her help me.

All the staff at the immigration bureau in Bangkok was very friendly and as helpful as they could be. Although its confusing and hectic there, the people are very nice.

On thing that I was not aware that they were looking for and would have been one less thing to worry about is that one of the requirements for renewal is documentation showing frequent transfers of substantial amounts into my Thai bank account.

Quick rundown of the requirements for renewal of a non-immigrant retirement visa as of yesterday (October 29, 2004).

1. You have to be 50 years old or older.

2. You are not blacklisted.

3. Proof of 800k baht in bank/65,000 baht per month income (apparently one in enough). In the case of 800k on deposit, they accepted a letter from the bank and a copy of the title page and page showing most recent balance from my bank book.

4. Documents showing frequent and substantial money transfers from overseas.

Other documents:

A. T.M. 7 form

B. Copy of significant passport pages

C. One passport photo

D. 1900 baht fee

E. Medical certificate

Plus another photo and 1900 baht for a re-entry permit or 3800 baht for a multiple-rentery permit.

*Whew* ok for another 14 months....

us another photo and 1900 baht for a re-entry permit or 3800 baht for a multiple-rentery permit.

*hew* ok for another 14 months...

Archived