How much of Asia do you want to see ?

gobbledonk

OK, so Thailand is your drug of choice, and you find yourself returning year after year. Based on a lot of the 'things arent what they were in the 80's and 90's' posts I'm seeing, the question has to be asked : are you prepared to leave your comfort zone and explore less 'known quantities' ? The anecdotal evidence from forums like 'Regional Sanuk' would seem to suggest that we have quite a few members with phenomenal experience of Asia beyond Thailand's borders, but I'm not sure that their experiences are representative of the majority of members.

I know that I only truly appreciate the positives of life in my own country when I visit someone else's - perhaps thats the tonic that many of the longtime LOS fanatics need in these trying times ?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I still want to explore Indonesia and the Philippines more in depth. I've already been to these countries, but will dedicate more time for them,and less for Thailand.

I've already booked my trip to the PI, bypassing Thailand this time around, and am planning to do a major tour of most Asian countries next year, and have some serious fun.

Shit, the no holds barred nightlife scene that used to happen in Thailand, is now being sterilized and dismantled one piece at time.

I went to Hong Kong, Taiwan, Malasia and will not return there.

However Cambodja, Vietnam and Laos are still on my list to visit one day.

Myanmar is out of the question as long as the generals are in power. That's a question of principle. I never went to Spain as long as Franco was alive.

Interesting how close our respective 'must see' lists are - I suspect that I'm in a similar boat having had roughly two weeks each in China and Indonesia, in addition to the usual haunts. If I neversee HK or Singapore again, I doubt that I'll be any worse off, but Vietnam, Laos, Japan and return trips to Indonesia (really, several 'countries' in one, IMO) and China (the North, next time) are all high on the agenda. Some of the more hardcore members have done the full backpacker 'trail' through Asia, but I couldnt handle that, so it'll have to be 2-3 weeks at a time over as many years as it takes.

>Myanmar is out of the question as long as the generals are in power. That's a question of principle. I never went to Spain as long as Franco was alive. <

I agree, even though I'd love to go, it will have to wait. Laos I very much enjoy, I'll be back to cambodja and Vietnam some day.

HK, forget it. Singapore, only in transit. Malaysia, maybe, but I must admit i feel more comfortable in Buddhist then Muslim countries.

When I first moved to Thailand in 94' I expected it would be my base of operations to explore other areas I was more interested in such as Vietnam and Indonesia. Unfortunately as a scuba instructor I earned only enough money to see Malaysia once every three months for visa runs.

If money were no object my plan would be to hit Japan, China, Indonesia, India, Nepal, Bhutan, Myanmar, Laos, and Malaysia outside the areas I've already seen.

My only problem with accomplishing this itinerary, besides money, is the radical Muslim hatred of Americans.

:rolleyes:

Hi Brink,

I cant comment on Malaysia, but I know that Australians have been welcome back to Bali with open arms, and I had no problems over Xmas/New Year in Jakarta last year. OK, Australians arent Americans, but I doubt that the locals can tell the difference until they hear you speak - even then, many wouldnt know.

As with any OS country, a lot depends on how you carry yourself - walk softly and carry a large smile.

Cheers,

Artie

walk softly and carry a large smile.

:up: Probably the best advice ever given on this board.

As I get older the P4P just becomes less and less important. Still enjoy it, but its not centerpiece of my vacation as it may of been in my younger years.

Of the countries that I've been to before:

Japan: I definitely want to go back to Japan (Kanto Plains area)especially during cherry blossom times. Jesus, what a sad old git I've become :o For me, Kamakura is one of the most pleasant towns I've ever been in. If you got the bucks, Tokyo is without doubt one of the best places to spend some time doing whatever your fancey desires.

Korea: I can take a pass on Korea, even though Korean food is one of my favorite cuisines. Love that Kimchi but, can do without the arrogant rudeness that I remember.

Taiwan: Wouldn't mind going back to see how it has changed since I was last there. I remember a beautiful Island that was just raising itself out of an agriculturally based economy. Taipei was a blast. Had some excellent restaurants and some of the most lucsious eye candy I've ever seen.

Philippines: Going back to the R.P. will be a like a homecoming. I left pieces of my soul there. For years I thought that it would be my final retirement destination. Who knows it may still be. It has definitely been too long since I was there.

Singapore: Gotta go back just to see how it is nowadays.

Hong Kong: Maybe for a week-end or so. No hurry to go back.

The big three that I haven't had a chance to see yet but are on my hit list: India, Viet Nam and Indonesia. Also, want to see Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia.

Somehow I gotta find time to see more of Europe and South America but, that's a topic for another post.

Searcher

Archived