writing thai (with apologies)

gomez

I'm sure this must have been discussed here, but searching the forum for "writing thai" offers up just about every post that was ever made, so sorry in advance.

My Thai is lousy. I can make very very simple conversations with people who are very very patient. Off and on, I make efforts to improve it, more off than on I'm afraid.

I can't read. Friends have told me that they didn't really "get" Thai until they learned to read.

Of course, classes are the best way, but I work very odd hours and it's tough to get to class or make arrangements with private teachers.

Any suggestions on the best system to self-teach, either by book or CD? Something that will give me the basics or more of reading/writing Thai?

If my work situation changes, I will enroll in a class, but would really like to get started.

Thnx

A good place to start would be to make flash cards for the Thai alphabet. Be able to distinguish which of the three classes each consonant belongs to (this will be very important latter in your studies). Learn a few a day.

There are websites that can give you the sound for each of the characters. There's a unique way the characters are sounded out that goes something like this: kaw kai, kaw khai, kaw khwai.... Google might help to find the sounds.

I'm with those that believe learning written Thai is essential and goes far in helping to understand spoken Thai. Good luck.

Hi gomez,

The best I have come across is the AUA Reading and Writing course. The key to this is that it is structured and explains things as you go along. IMHO this is far better than a "shot gun" type approach which is disjointed and could take a long time before "the penny drops".

I don't know if this is generally available - try their place on Rajdamri, and it would be better with a teacher.

Just learning the alphabet is not the right way to approach it, again, imho.

Thai for Beginners by Boonsan becker (sp?) has something approaching a structured approach, but AUA explains it much better.

I agree that learning the writing is essential to really advancing in Thai.

Good luck.

Khwai

Regarding your comments: "The best I have come across is the AUA Reading and Writing course. ..............I don't know if this is generally available - try their place on Rajdamri, and it would be better with a teacher.".

Just wondering how you encountered the "AUA Reading and Writing course". I am currently studying at AUA but at my level (level 2) all we do is sit in class and listen to 2 Thai teachers conversing.

I had just started to use the Becker material on my own but would consider the "AUA Reading and Writing course" if it is available (I will check at AUA Rajdamri).

But, I am asking about your experience in case there is another option available.

Tiger Moth said:

Just wondering how you encountered the "AUA Reading and Writing course".

Hi tm,

When I first came here, I had a teacher who worked part time at AUA but also did freelance teaching. We started with speaking only, using two AUA course books (so it said on the cover, anyway) and then he asked if I would like to learn the writing. He acquired two books from AUA, one for reading and one for writing - actually, most of the material is in Reading with the book on Writing little more than an accompanying workbook.

Check the shop there, if you have access to it - I believe this is restricted to "members" of AUA only?

Khwai

Just an FYI, I believe the AUA reading and writing course is only available fi you are in level 5 of the conversation course.

Still might be able to get the books though.

In any event, know that level 3-4 is MUCH different then level 1-2. Get yourself out of 1-2 as fast as you can (shouldn't be too hard).

At 3-4, I supplemented my AUA courses with some private 1 on 1 courses and that was extremely helpful to put structure to what I was learning at AUA.

<<burp>>

I'd check the Thai children's section of any bookstore. You'll usually see comic book sized study aids with a chicken, egg and/or buffalo on the cover. Look around there. What I had in mind though is to make your own by copying some off the Internet and making something that will fit in your front pocket so you can easily study them throughout the day. The link you provided has a lot of useful information.

The way I learned to read Thai was by getting private lessons from an AUA teacher at her home (and using flash cards for study aid). It was several years ago but I think I only had 5-10 one hour sessions which was enough to get a basic foundation to build on. My spoken Thai at the time was a bit above beginner level. I'm far from proficient but that's due to my own laziness.

Archived