Thailand to bid to 2016 games.

stonepony

Thailand doesn't have it either.

---------------------

we are talking 2016, not next year. Greece did not have it either in 1992.

I think Cambodia could host archery near Angkor wat. Just an idea. Or Laos and cambodia could have Canoe/kayak on the Mekhong river, south of Champasak. these are sports that don't have huge audiences to accommodate and build a stadium for. one more: Laos and Thailand for rowing (Mekhong again).

Not saying that Thailand, or SEA will get it, but they could have a serious bid that takes them to the last crop of cities to choose from. Often, a first bid is like putting one's feet in the door, for another year (2020, 2024 then), as happened with Athens and Beijing who bid for previous Olympics.

I would support the Games in Thailand. They currently have the infrastructure in place (subway and skytrain), hotel room count second to none, compared to alot of countries(The Sydney games, they didn't have enough hotel rooms, families were renting there house rooms). Medical facilities, restaurants, the list goes on. The money, corporate sponsors make up the bulk of the capital.

But, they have several reasons the IOC wouldn't select Thailand. In the selection process, believe it or not, wheather and temperature poses several issues, late August is the rainey season, the chance for rain is every day. As most events are held outside, rain and the games don't mix well.

Just my two satangs.

Go Thailand.........

Chok dee,

HOKS

fatbastard33 said:

I can' t see Bangkok getting it in 2016.

2016 ? Get real. 3016 is a much more realistic date and that's only if someone gets their hands on the "how to host the olympics" manual, becuase we all know that if it not written down in some book than it's way beyond the reach of a thai person.

HOKSIPKAU said:

I would support the Games in Thailand. They currently have the infrastructure in place (subway and skytrain), hotel room count second to none, compared to alot of countries(The Sydney games, they didn't have enough hotel rooms, families were renting there house rooms). Medical facilities, restaurants, the list goes on.

It takes more than hotel rooms and a limtited mass transit system to attract the games. Brains, Brawn and the abiltiy to organize are must haves, and IMHO quite lacking at the moment. Although it would be amusing to see all of the 100 meter sprinters wearing gas masks. Again maybe by 3016 . . .

They currently have the infrastructure in place (subway and skytrain), hotel room count second to none, compared to alot of countries

Tell me you were chuckling to yourself when you typed that statement. By the way, the IOC probably will not count short-time hotel rooms in the tally.

There are US cities with 100X more things going for them than Bangkok that got laughed out of the selection process a few years back.

There are US cities with 100X more things going for them than Bangkok that got laughed out of the selection process a few years back

--------------------------

You forget that there is a lot of politics or geo-politics going into that process (Moscow 1980), continental ping pong too, and I am afraid to say, lots of corruption too. At least "a few years back".

Thailand receives millions of tourists each year, to claim that the hotel infra-structure is, or will leave to be desired is a bit uninformed. Points can be made against BKK/Thailand organizing the Games, but your derision (for 2016, moreover) is, IMO, out of place and frankly, a bit thai-xenophobic.

Unknown to you, obviously, they have organized quite a few events, even in sports, which smaller as they were, will show as positives, not negatives.

they may lose out, but will not be laughed at. The choice for 2012 will be made in 2008. maybe a bit soon, but as i said, that foot in the door may bring recognition and validation for 2020/24.

Archived