Lease

sinsin2

Has anyone got a translation of a watertight

Thai land lease.

The laywars I have met,I do not trust and

I am afraid of missing an important nuance in

the(independent)translation.

A friend who done everything properly and expensively 8 years ago,has just been kicked

out of his house by his ex."Lease no good"

any help will be much appreciated

sinsin52@yahoo.co.uk

I dont want to sound like a smartarse but I have to say that if I had a friend like that ...

"A friend who done everything properly and expensively 8 years ago,has just been kicked

out of his house by his ex."Lease no good""

... it would scream at me DONT DO IT.

We hear so many stories about farang land and lease deals going wrong I would think very carefully indeed before considering it - there must be better and safer things to do with your money. And anyway whats the big deal about owning/leasing land in Thailand - I cant see it. Sorry to be a wet blanket - but caution - think carefully about what you are contemplating!

I have read that the new lease laws, allowing farangs to lease for up to 100 years may go into effect as early as next month. As I understand this plan, the lease will be through the Land Dept. This could be a "good" thing, as it may give you more security. I would check with one of the international law firms that have offices in BKK.

I also believe we have at least one member that is a lawyer in country. Maybe he would like to comment on your lack of trust of local lawyers.

Rictc,

I certainly understand your frustration with the whole land ownership deal here. I sure would like to find out who and how much land in the US is owned by ruling elite that spout off about this national security stuff. I read one quote that was against the new lease because the "foriegn lease holder" could fence the land off and Thais would not be able to walk on it anymore. Will stop this line of thought since it is borderline political (probably not much borderline to it).

I think what Sinsin was refering to was the device whereby your Thai wife/GF buys the land and leases back to you. If your wife buys the land, assuming she is allowed to do so by the local authorities, then she leases it back to you through the Land Deptarment. I guess I never thought about who gets the land when the lease expires, I assumed it would be the orginal owner. Are you saying it reverts to the Land Dept? I would think it would go to your wife's heirs, your children.

[ March 06, 2002: Message edited by: THAIHOME ]

[ March 06, 2002: Message edited by: THAIHOME ]

The 100year lease is shit, pure and simple.

You pay the full market price for something that decreases in value every year and cannot be left to your children in perpetuity. I have 2 children, Thai citzens, and they wind up with nothing if I take this crap offer.

Funnily enough the reason given for these ridiculous deals is National security, funnily enough again those that state National security are the very same people that purchase land overseas and don't consider that a threat to national security of that nation.

Archived