OUCCCCHHH!!!

stonepony

I travel to LOS about 4-6 times a year. The stay will range from 4 days to 1 month.

I won't go into actual figures because it is alot and I could not even tell you what I truly spend because it depends on the purpose of my visit.

I learned 2 very important money saving tips.

First, get a very good accountant who can write most of your trip off.

Second, get an apartment year round instead of paying for expensive hotels. If you have a steady girl but like to mess around then get a cheap second apartment and turn it into a love nest. Very economical.

Third, make Thai friends who have their own money, houses, cars and businesses. They will insist you stay with them for a bit and gladly play host during your stay.

Your complaining doesnt make sense.

1 you remark at how much you spend, yet you splurge on expensive planes and hotels.

2 yes its your vacation, but you can get discount hotels and airfare and save enough for at least one more trip to LOS.

3 add up the price if you went elsewhere, the price would be more and you may not even get Sanuk.

4 when i holiday in LOS, I spend as if I live there, but thats me

Precsiely :)Kwam khit dee na krap.

I have a home in BKK and the US and spend about 60% in LOS and 40% of the year in Ahmeriiica and

and one of my businesses is sourcing material in LOS... so basically its all paid for BY the business. I am sure I would be shocked at the cash that goes through my hands...

What to do but keep on keeping on. :: ::

Not sure I made myself very clear. When I said I was putting a budget together, this was for my overall budgeted spending habits (rent, auto, vacations, etc) for back in falangland. Not a detail budget on where my money is going once in LOS. So coming up with how much I spend yearly in LOS was an important piece of that pie. This was rather easy to do, just look at prior visa and bank (ATM) statement, plus 500 dollars in travelers checks per visit.

I wasn?t really interested in the details of my trip and how I spend my money, I was more interest in identifying how much per month I need to save to continue these trips. I guess I was just shocked to see the amount as high as it was, $595 dollars. That is one hell of a nice car payment.

Will I continue my trips to paradise, YES. Will I cut corners to reduce the cost, DOUBTFUL. Will I live to regret it, PROBABLY.

FYI, my last four trips have averaged 13 days or 26 days per year. And yes the totals above do cover all expense including booze and food.

High Thaied, very impressive, you sure know how to live it up. :beer:

Artiew, what are you talking about, sometimes your are the only one who makes any sense on this board. :grinyes:

jj, you make a very good point about getting an apartment, but I'm not their enough to make it cost effective. Maybe a few of us need to get together and get a timeshare going :dunno:

I skipped most of the answers because I'm in a rush but definetely spend less in BKK than France (where i stay most of the time in hotels and eat out as well). No need to save especially for the trips either as it's part of my job :p

I did a quick "napkin" calculation. I've probably spent north of $100k on approximately 50 trips over the past 15 years. All in all, money well spent - apart from the occasionally questionable choice in women and excessive partying.

Putting this amount into perspective, I would have spend this money on college education for a child ... if I had ever gotten married. Instead my life priorities have been on the more indulgent side.

Cheers

Archived