Salary Payment

Zaad

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

explanation of "Don't ask for pay, do not get paid. Ask for the pay. No pay - go the government. Such bussinesses should not be in business."

"Don't ask for pay, do not get paid." This is what is happening now. I suspect if she asked for pay, she would probably get paid, but because she hasn't, her employeer has decided to 'forget' paying her.

"Ask for the pay" That should be self explanatory. The pay is due, she should not have to ask for it, but now is the time to ask for it.

No pay - go to the government". If she doesn't get paid, go to every governmental agency you can use. I am not sure how taxes, social security, etc. is paid to the government in LOs, but I suspect that over one quarter (3 months) has went by, her employer has not paid anything. This can put the employer in a dangerous position and your girl friend also. If she should slip (this is only an example) and break the fall with her hand, she could possibly fracture her wrist. If this was done at work, her employeer would be liable. But being the employer has not been paying any of the social taxes, etc., he might be ad odds at how to handle the situation.

Working under the table does have its advantageous, but in this case, it appears your girl friend may end up becoming a victim of the system.

Zaad said:

If none helps then I'll check with the labour department as to hopefully speed the process.

Zaad, you can not do this. Thats the problem. In your initial post you mentioned that there are no contracts.

If you go now to the labour department then your g/f might get in trouble because of tax reason. The best way to sort this out is either walk off ( which hurts after 3months work) or you go there with your g/f and ask what the reason is for not paying.

I normally pay for part timers (gardener, handyman, motorbike mechanics etc) right after the work is done and not a single minute later. With this I know that they wont come back unless I tell them. It gives a good reputation and some of these workers really need the money. Your g/f situation is really not fair but this is how it goes here sometimes....

Get involved if your thai is good enough! cheers,

Singhaman,

Unfortunately my Thai is not good enough to handle such situations myself, I'd go there as a bouncer, my girl would do the talking :)

Seriously, no she told me she did not sign a contract but she doesn't have to. Please don't ask me details, I don't know how this works exactly. It's a part-time job and all she needs to do is give her details, employer's info and work hours at the Public Health Center. It must go via this PHC because she works for the government at her regular job in the Thai army. No illegal activities here.

My guess is that she doesn't call it a contract but there IS in fact a paper which states where she works, what function etc, with both signatures. That's all I know. Not exactly like a contract according to her, but sounds like one to me though.

I'll be seriously pissed off if they refuse to pay, I sincerely hope for me and them that such day never exists.

I'm optimistic. First thing she needs to do is communicate with them and see if there's a simple solution for the delay.

I don't know the laws there, but believe them to be needing to pay out every month (30 days) in LOS (for hourly workers). US is every 2 weeks, for hourly employee's. Worst case senario is payroll going in on the 16th, to be paid out end of month, and you starting job on the 17th. Means 6 weeks before first paycheck.

But beyond that, becomes unreasonable. Hourly payroll in BKK is usually at the end of the month. First paycheck will depend on date that started job. But longer than 2 months??, and something is very wrong.

I would suggest girl not working a single hour more, until is brought up to speed, concerning pay. If company unwilling to do, is unlikely she will ever get paid for anything.

Sad.....but true.

HT

• 1 month later...

Update:

For those with a short memory let me refresh you mind:

My girl had not received a single satang from her part-time job where she was (is) working for nearly 6 months. And this was obviously pissing me off.

She finally did receive a chunk of it but not the total sum. Reason is (what they told her) that they're facing some financial difficulties at the moment. Not really our problem of course, well, indirectly it is though.

All in all I'm glad she gets her money, be it with some delay. Despite this problem she loves it there, comfortable, good environment and experience etc. so she'll be staying for a while. Just need patience with the salary.

P.S. They should've informed their employee(s) about the upcoming delay rather than just sitting there and zip their lip until employee comes forward with the issue. Unprofessional.

Archived